I am beginning my Graduate Schooling on TUESDAY!

VangelicSurgeon

Three Star General
Jul 26, 2002
www.maudlinofthewell.com
I just signed up for this class - 4 graduate credits!

EDUC E-126 Teaching for Understanding with Instructional Technology (21661)
(Syllabus) (Website)
Tina Blythe, BA, Project Manager, Project Zero, Harvard Graduate School of Education.

Helping students develop understanding has always been an important goal of education—and yet it remains a deeply challenging one. Teachers wrestle each year with such questions as, "What motivates my students to want to understand something?" and "How can I assess the quality of their understanding?" Finding answers to these questions has been complicated by the growing availability of technological resources to teachers and students. How can that technology be used to enhance students' understanding? This course covers the theory and practice of teaching a curriculum that puts understanding up front, especially when working with technology.

i keep applying and DEFERRING. i am a fucking LOSER.

i can't decide: med school / neuroscience AI crap / horticulture / vet

teaching is so awesome! i am excited that you guys are interested in doing that. i taught for about 1/2 year at my old high school (horticulture!) it was fun but i moved :( it's also really challenging. but i miss it to be honest.

I have the fondest memories of my middle school science classes/teachers. They were totally the coolest! I'm also volunteering to teach a computer skeelz class this spring but I haven't gotten any info on the program from the director yet.

having a good science teacher in middle school is REALLY important josh especially for GIRLS who are horribly discouraged by a lot of those bastards. so yay! i am glad you want to do that.

I taught (free) introductory computer classes for a year to mothers in Philadelphia forced to move off welfare and get jobs and it was really fun! You don't have to stew about not knowing the material, so you just basically explain stuff and answer questions and watch as people get this "OH!" look on their faces when they understand.

Planning on audio recording grad school. Which is a fairly sketchy proposition when compared to real areas of study like teaching, etc. But I'll get to sit in a room with lots of blinking lights and have delusions of grandeur.

I met this dude in New York once who had a Ph.D (or the equivalent...can't remember the exact degree label) in Acoustics. He could just walk into any room, look around, and be like "Place the mics there, there, and there" just like THAT. I guess he spent like nine years studying how sound waves bounce off differently-shaped and -textured objects and is a crazy audio dude now who owns this Scandinavian studio with glass walls overlooking crashing, icy waves...