I - Between Two Worlds

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I - Between Two Worlds
Nuclear Blast Records - NB 1759-2 - 11/3/06
By Brandon Strader

I-BetweenTwoWorlds.jpg

People have been waiting excitedly for this new "supergroup" release from members of Immortal, Enslaved, and Sahg... Well, I guess as far as underground black metal supergroups go, sure. I breaks out with some awesome heavy metal riffs and a charging percussion performance, and it all seems like it is going to be awesome and kick a lot of rock 'n' roll butt. Unfortunately, the vocals enter and pretty much spoil everything. The vocals are slightly distorted and a lot of the time, off-key. This is the hugest downside to the music of course, as the riffs keep piling up with each more awesome than the last, and the rock 'n' roll guitar solos really shred. The songwriting is classic in a heavy metal vein, and there is the occasional arrangement with a sense of epicness that begin on the second song, "Warriors". The vocals sound like a blackened mock version of Lemmy from Motorhead though, and that is pretty lame. That guy's got one of the most irritating voices in music ever, so why Abbath would want to immitate him, who knows...

If I would have chosen a more suitable vocal style to match the music, Between Two Worlds could have been an awesome record. The songwriting is pretty good for classic heavy metal type stuff, and the solos and guitar work are all splendid. Needless to say, the album is just a tad dissapointing. It's the kind of album you really want to love, but the vocals are just like nails on a chalk board, and of course they are front and center, the main focus. We can only hope for future I records that they either drop the Lemmy style for something better, or at least work harder and become a better Lemmy immitator (and by a better Lemmy immitator, I mean better than Lemmy). "Between Two Worlds", the title track, introduces some lower-octave off-key vocals that are a lot better than the others, yet removing the voice or even employing some more dynamics rather than having the vocals be monotone could have really helped out this song; nay, the whole album. If you can work your way past the irritating vocals, then you will find a heavy metal paradise within Between Two Worlds. It's too bad Abbath couldn't have done a Dio, or Bruce Dickinson immitation!

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official I Website
Official Nuclear Blast Records Website

The vocals don't annoy me. I'm surprised it's hardrock-esque.

Lemmy has, "...one of the most irritating voices in music ever???" Based upon this statement alone nothing the reviewer has to say on this or any other band is of value to me. I have now officially heard everything:erk:

I don't see the Lemmy immitation at all, the vocals just sound like good ole' Immortal to me. I liked this, but you did justify your opinion, so I won't kill you :D. Unfortunately, not many people share the same opinion as you :D

One of the best "Rock" albums I've heard in a long, long time. These guys know what their doing, unlike a lot of the drek out there that calls itself rock.

I am not a BM fan at all really, but After listenting to this album, I'm searching for stuff similar. I give this album no less than an 8. Msic is great, vocals are cool (lemmy-ish at times), but cool.