circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Taken – Between Two Unseens
Goodfellow Records – GFR0036 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

takenpic.jpg

Goodfellow Records, mostly known for Cursed, isn’t a label for metal purists as their bands aren’t concerned with fitting into that mold. I like what I’ve heard from them, though, namely Blessing the Hogs, Quell, Spitfire, and Taken. Nonetheless, the songs here are kind of overshadowed by the fact that this screamo outfit parted ways recently, which means we won’t be seeing any more material unless they decide to reunite. But don’t let that fact alone dissuade you from sampling Between Two Unseens.

While these five lads are mostly characterized – and consequently written off – as screamo, clean vocals can’t be found on their latest EP aside from the choir effect utilized on “Eternity Was on Our Lips.” Thankfully, the five compositions are engaging and well-written. It’s also safe to say that Between Two Unseens is splattered with Pelican droppings, because much of the distortion-less instrumentation parallels the latter. The tracks as a whole are of an unsurprising variety, though they feel like actual songs, whereas many of their contemporaries use bubblegum and thumbtacks to fasten their tunes together. And at just over twenty minutes, the EP is more manageable than a full-length, not requiring a determined attention span while being rewarding simultaneously. Perhaps what truly makes this notable, for fans of the band and/or subgenre, is the DVD. Featuring Taken’s last show, past interviews, and miscellaneous content serves as a booster for the quintet’s farewell album.

I’m positive you’re acquainted with this style, and that’s the deciding factor right there. Above all, Between Two Unseens is charismatic and energetic, a culmination of experienced songwriters. In other words, this functions as a nice commemoration to an overlooked band. The vocalist is fronting Mikoto now, however, so the brokenhearted may find temporary solace with them.

7/10

Official Goodfellow Records Website