circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Smackdown – Someone Has to Kill the Headwriter
Goodfellow Records – GFR040 – April 11th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

GFR040-2.jpg

Even if Goodfellow aren’t always on the mark – most recently, Spitfire’s Self-Help – I’m usually intrigued by their output. And once I stumbled on the utterly bizarre marriage of wrestling and Swedish hardcore that fuels The Smackdown’s assault, I was more wary than anything. Someone Has to Kill the Headwriter, their sophomore follow-up to Calling the Spots, suffers from a number of ailments, and is ultimately not up to snuff with the rest of Goodfellow’s catalog.

Naturally, The Smackdown are a quirky bunch, but that just doesn’t cut it here. Blending Swedish hardcore with unshakable rockabilly tendencies, they sound akin to fellow countrymen Selfmindead, Soapbox, and A Thought Crushed My Mind-era Blindside, though this five-piece are much faster overall. As energetic as they are, however, the 13 tracks of Someone Has to Kill the Headwriter only add up to 21 minutes, which is not what I’d label a proper full-length. Still, when the group fleshes out the grooves rather than relying on Dillinger-esque instrumentation, even Hardy’s constant screaming isn’t enough to derail the song. “The Dave Mustaine Syndrome” is an example as well as “Irwin R. Never Changed the World,” the latter borrowing the determined nature of Capricorns during its one-minute appearance.

With their emphasis on wrestling, The Smackdown will definitely turn some people away, but what’s most problematic about Someone Has to Kill the Headwriter is that the music is off-putting due to the high-pitched incessant screaming, jumbled playing, and brief length. Aside from a few “cute” song titles and a handful of nice rhythmical patterns, I’d call this a letdown coming from a record company such as Goodfellow. Like everyone, though, I suppose they’re allowed to have an off day. However, judging by a casual listen of The Abominable Iron Sloth’s debut, I’d say they’re right back on track.

3.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official The Smackdown Website
Official Goodfellow Records Website

This made my head hurt. 21 minutes and I could barely get through that. I will give them credit for trying a couple of different things.

Wrestling fans, eh? I'll bet that "old school" to them is Steve Austin & Shawn Michaels. For me, it's Crusher and Mad Dog Vachon!:kickass: