I can see disliking the Load records, but why is Black Album reviled so?

I think you would be hard pressed to find a person who likes post AJFA Metallica when they followed the band before hand. Funny how a line was drawn in the sand with Metallica for the fans who followed them from underground status, to fame. Most of those fans turned the other way, and decided "mainstream" status and sub-par songwriting wasnt for them. Funny how other bands of the era have stuck to their guns, and were true to the thrash metal scene. True thrash metal, which Metallica once played and excelled at will NEVER be a mainstream and popular form of music. Metallica obviously decided to choose fame and $$$ over staying true to your roots. So, bye bye thrash metal, and welcome, uh, whatever it is you want to call what they play....

I don't think they sold out. I really do believe they wanted to do something different. It's just that what they wanted to do didn't sit well with my tastes(and a lot of the older fans as well). I never bought this album. With the exception Of Wolf and Man I think the Black album is dull. UH! Sad but true is just so boring!! Metallica just continued to disappoint me ever since.

Priest of Evil said:
when a great thrash band starts making records with Bob Rock the producer who leads you straight to selloutvile, population :Metallica; is there any wonder the thrash community was appalled with them and their Black album?

I agree with this also... when they changed producers from Flemming (Ride the Lightning and MOP) to Bob Rock (AJFA and beyond) it was the beginning of the end.... Cliff's death, Jason, Bob Rock and Lars were the cause of their downfall... I blame Bob Rock for Motley as well (i like their first 3 albums... coincidence..the number 3 when bands change producers to a more commercial oriented producer? .. hmmm ) .... I think Metallica should go back to Flemming.. i wonder what Flemming has/had been doing since he got dropped by Metalllica.. anyone anyone? ... :erk:

I think The Black album was fairly well written and had good songs on it, but it wasn't the Metallica I grew up with. I own the album and it gets a spin once in a blue moon, but they went from a progressive thrash band to a hard rock band/basic metal band in one release. It changed my opinions of them drastically. Their well ran dry after that release...... so they became a hard rock band that wrote shitty songs after that.

Bryant

Because they had a basic boring, non-offensive record cover, because they simplified the drum and guitar riff structures to a more Hard Rock style (no more thrash), because they did interviews, because they smiled, because they toured with Guns N' Roses, because they shied away from the term 'Metal', because there was heavier and better stuff to listen to, because Hetfield got a Mullet, and most importantly why...

they recorded the biggest piece of shit, pussy-crybaby, radio play deluxe- song EVER in "Nothing Else Matters".

my $0.02

SoundMaster said:
I actually agree 100% with this. I despise his current vocal style....in reality, he cant sing to save his life. I like the record in spite of this, however. Heck, I prefer death vocals to the nonsense he passes off as singing...

Fuck yeah. Give me Mikael's rough death vox on any Opeth album over anything Hetfields passed outta his mouth in the last 13 years or so.

Electronicoil said:
A buddy of mine's band used to do a parody version of "Hey Joe" with post-Bob-Rock Hetfield style vocals. It was hillarious in a way that may not convey in writing, but the singer did Hetfield's voice perfectly and added all the little extraneous vowell sounds at the end of lines.

"Hey Joe-wah,
Where you going-uh with that gun in your had-ee-ah
Hey Joe-wah,
Where you going-uh with that gun in your had-ee-ah"

Actually hearing more than I care of Hetfield's crap singing nowadays, I can perfectly picture that parody. Sounds like it was pretty funny actually!:D

Walter_Langkowski said:
And finally...

think about the last song on AJFA, "Dyers Eve" a total friggin' masterpiece. Then the next song you hear from the band after years of waiting is (1st album track) "Enter Sandman".

Talk about a drop off in quality... :erk: :confused:

Well that was basically what happened to me with a few temporal glitches in the road. :ill:

NP: Sweet Savage - 'Eye Of The Storm'

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I think Metallica should go back to Flemming.. i wonder what Flemming has/had been doing since he got dropped by Metalllica.. anyone anyone? ... :erk:
He produced Blind Guardian records ;)

As for Metallica (the album), I don't blame them for trying something else and I think it's an OK record, even though I've never been a die hard Metallica fan.

Fangface said:
He produced Blind Guardian records ;)

As well as Morbid Angel's "Covenant" and Chroming Rose's "Pressure".
I think his work on 2nd and 3rd Metallicas was absolutely groundbreaking back then. I don't think there's been a heavier guitar sound recorded back then and it still competes up to these days... :worship: