I can't believe that

Luann

Apr 5, 2008
Argentina
There are people that only can listen to damnation.
I mean, damnation is an awesome awesome album, but BWP or SL or any other album is at that level or more.
Seems like everytime I try to enter someone on opeth, all I can get them to listen is to the damnation songs, wich is like sad for me, I want them to hear the mix between quiet and heavy, between acoustics and distorted guitars, it's kind of frustrating.
I know some fans that entered with damnation, that is ok, but that must be a weird thing, as it were weird to me the first time I heared damnation, I thought WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? IS THERE ANY OTHER BAND WITH THE SAME NAME?
But I got it, I loved it, I abused it, I don't listen to it anymore, or not that regularly.
Discuss or post shit thread or how your mom loves still life.

yea Damnation is a good album, nice and chill. My first was Blackwater Park and I thought the growls were pretty kewl.

BWP was my first as well. But you have to realize most people do not like the growlies at first. If you have a passion for heavy music you come to love them if you give it time, some just can never get into it. I can understand that because I used to be the same way.

I introduced somebody by Damnation and he already likes A Fair Judgement and Serenity Painted Deathhh (?!) aswell

I think that Damnation is very good to start with, but for an experienced fan its pretty hard to get catched, at least I thought so. Maybe it's because of the usual change of mellow and death gives some coolness to the songs that's just missing on Damnation.
I even have to confess that I think Damnation is way to monotone. It's mellow and relaxed but there is something missing, it's just not complete at all. It's pretty negative, too, I mean all is shit and every thins fucked up. On Deliverance there are ways shown to get out of that bad situation, the fuckin' growling man says, that he hates what is and wants to change something.
That's what Opeth is about, the eternal struggle which is missing on Damnation.

i started with damnation, but went instantly onto BWP and then ghost reveries when that came out :D

My first two Opeth songs I heard were from Damnation.It was also my first Opeth album I owned,but I quickly into material from Blackwater Park and Still Life.Some people are put off by the growls,but with a bit of patience,the growls become one of the vital ingredients with Opeth!

In answer to the OP, I can, people who don't like metuull. People also don't seem to understand you aren't supposed to like dm growls the first time you hear them, especially if you have never heard anything like it whatsoever.

It's a bit funny watching their reactions when they try other songs if they are not into that kind of music. But yeah, I guess it's also kind of irritating. I feel like people do not comprehend the true value of the music I like. :(

It's a bit funny watching their reactions when they try other songs if they are not into that kind of music. But yeah, I guess it's also kind of irritating. I feel like people do not comprehend the true value of theIR music I like. :(

corrected