I can't believe that

Funny, I instantly got into Blackwater Park despite not being into metal at all at the time. Actually, I listened to Bleak on Youtube for the lulz... I thought I would hate it.
I can easily see someone put off by the growls though... if my parents want to hear an Opeth album because they're curious about what I listen to, I would probably give them Damnation.

Once someone at school approached me (aww, let's befriend the shy kid) and wanted to know what I was listening to on my ipod. It was Ghost of Perdition, and after listening to a few seconds she said, "Oh, you're into rock music..." and left. I never saw her again... :lol:

Funny, I instantly got into Blackwater Park despite not being into metal at all at the time. Actually, I listened to Bleak on Youtube for the lulz... I thought I would hate it.
I can easily see someone put off by the growls though... if my parents want to hear an Opeth album because they're curious about what I listen to, I would probably give them Damnation.

Once someone at school approached me (aww, let's befriend the shy kid) and wanted to know what I was listening to on my ipod. It was Ghost of Perdition, and after listening to a few seconds she said, "Oh, you're into rock music..." and left. I never saw her again... :lol:

it was so awesome she ran to google to find out where the guys who are responsible for that amazing piece of greatness live. so she travalled to sweden to meet opeth but before she had the chance she was found by peter tagtgren and he ate most of her flesh (saved about 5 kilos in the fridge for jonas renkse)

agree:) sometimes i just want to listen to damnation-it's unique.
Anyway,as you said,most people hate growls.They think like: "oh,he's just screaming like he vomited,it's not music,it's for "psychopaths":)
Try to get those people into "lighter" metal maybe,then opeth,i don't know how to do it.Opeth was my first band with growls to listen and the only one i really love.I remember me thinking,how can i like deliverance so much,i never thought i would listen to "such" music:)

I definitely understand them. I got into Opeth via the Remember Tomorrow cover through to Damnation and onto Face of Melinda/Still Life. It took me quite an effort to get used to the growls and that's despite the fact that I grew up on regular metal (Sabbath etc) so I was no stranger to heavy, but growls were definitely an acquired taste for me. As were BM growls/screams when I got into Black Metal. Some people just can't get used to the screaming and I can definitely see their point. I'm just happy I was blessed with the ability to find them cathartic.

Lots of people don't like death vocals. I don't see how this makes them somehow intellectually inferior as some folks here seem to be implying.

You have to admit, from an outsider's perspective, it must seem pretty ridiculous to hear someone grunt and growl through an entire album.

Lots of people don't like death vocals. I don't see how this makes them somehow intellectually inferior as some folks here seem to be implying.

You have to admit, from an outsider's perspective, it must seem pretty ridiculous to hear someone grunt and growl through an entire album.

Yes, it must be ridiculous, but are you talking about opeth? because that is the point, it never happens that way on opeth, you always have contrast, you always have some clean voice going on, you always have something new.
And if someone really thinks that the rest of the people is "somehow intellectually inferior" just because they don't listen to opeth, he is the retarded.

Opeth would not be Opeth without growls. I remember when I bought Orchid (my first one) I really wished they didn't do clean singing.

I understand that some people don't like growls. When I first started to get into more extreme metal, I could only stand the growls, cause the music was so awesome.

...But I envy the cool mom The Antihero. Mine doesn't even like Damnation, cause it's too sad!