Rediscovering Damnation

I rediscover Damnation at this time of the year every year since it's release. It really captures the weatehr and the atmosphere. Like other people, I would consider this Opeth's greatest achievement, but it doesnt capture all the aspects of Opeth, therefore it is just one of my favorite albums.

pretty good album imo, but i have to be in the mood for it

edit: closure is one of my favorite songs of all time though

Definitely my least favorite Opeth album, but it has some amazing stuff on it. By that I mean 'Windowpane'. The second guitar solo... HOLY SHIT. 'Hope Leaves' is also excellent.

I just wish that the songs on this record had been more like the soft stuff on their normal albums. I could have used some long, acoustic epics -- ACOUSTIC, mind you; I think they used too much clean-tone electric on this album.

I really hope that peter doesn't decide to grow a neckbeard. I would be horribly devastated, with no choice by to cut my titties off..

only fat gothic chicks have sufficiently low standards to tolerate neckbeards.

The Whole Album is absolutly brilliant. What's not to like? Opeth is so much more than just metal, and many people miss this point. Damnation is a once in a lifetime album, I feel that you could search forever trying to recapure the feelings and emotions that live there.

It must have been while you were kissing me... (ahem, sorry)

It's a brilliant album, and just goes to show that Opeth is much more than metal. Although I agree there are times when I can't listen to it.

Meanwhile, I just got Ghost Reveries Deluxe. Saw Grand Conjuration video for the first time in ages :erk: I like gene's headbanging while drumming though.

People have the habit to say: ''i used to like it, but then i discovered better music'' wth, i knew extreme quality music before i heard that album, and i know a lot of albums that are better than Damnation, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is a damn fine album.

maybe people that say this mean that they also knew of very high quality music but were on a big opeth-binge when the album was released (like myself) and lapped it up like it was the best thing since the last opeth track they heard.
the album is good but doesnt do the same for them as it did and thats most likely down to their getting over it and stopping listening to so much opeth.
yes its still a good album and im sure people who use your quoted phrase still appreciate that, but perhaps its down to a wave of obsession with the band upon first listen?

Damnation is the proof that Opeth is not afraid to take risks and that is far from having a predictable formula. (Yes, there are some idiots that have said so.) That's what makes a band truly progressive.