Rediscovering Damnation

Lyrics in general are bad. There are many exceptions, but there are sooooo many more bad lyrics than good lyrics in music. Good thing I don't give a damn/pay attention to lyrics.

damnation was the first Opeth I heard. I love the cd. So many non-metal friends i have loved the Damnation album.

the album is FAR superior to deliverance. deliverance is still a great album,worst opeth album by far imo. We've covered that in another thread though. I like weakness on the dvd more then the cd, but thats the only flaw i can find in damnation.

i think damnation missed with some people cause they were hoping or expecting it to be like ballad songs like to bid you farewell, face of melinda,and benighted. i get the feeling that damnation songs are more like "real" songs with structure and stuff and less "from the heart" than the other ones. which in my opinion makes it harder to connect to.. the only songs that come close to damnation songs in my opinion are a fair judgement and maybe harvest... and probably cause it was written around the same time and with the help of steven wilson. i dont know, maybe im just an idiot. but after steven left i feel like they got back on the original track with hours of wealth and isolation years (more from the heart) maybe this is just my way of saying i like when mikael writes by himself without the influence of steven...

Ah good for you mate. Its worth any praises, that album.

I'd give a lot of credit to Steven Wilson for it actually. Great production work.

I love it! The only thing I find with it is that it doesn't breathe enough. It sounds a little suffocating at times. But for Opeth, maybe that's the effect they were going for.

That "gypsy-rockish" style part at the end of Closure is fucking genius! I look forward to it every time I play the disc.

Ruby Eyes said:
I love it! The only thing I find with it is that it doesn't breathe enough. It sounds a little suffocating at times. But for Opeth, maybe that's the effect they were going for.

i always thought opeth gave that chance to breathe with the third and fourth tracks...and ending credits, too

Don Corleone said:
i always thought opeth gave that chance to breathe with the third and fourth tracks...and ending credits, too

You could be right. I thought To Rid The Disease sounded better live though for some reason.

Benighted Joe said:
But I still think that the best mellow songs by Opeth is "Still day 'neath the sun" and "Patterns in the ivy 2"

:worship: :worship: Still Day is my favourite mellow Opeth track...and one of my favourite tracks...period. I'm glad they decided to make it for the BWP extras.

vampyr&#233 said:
I sold my copy of Damnation.
It's SO boring.

Hope Leaves is the only song I can still listen to.

Thats funny, cause Hope Leaves is my least favourite. It's Mike fav. too, I really just cant figure out why. But its all about opinions.

Damnation is a true masterpiece imo, not only in the prog-rock genrè, but generally.

Heckelgruber said:
You mean on Lamentations? It is great on Lamentations.

That's correct. I lifted the audio from the DVD with my computer, split up the songs into tracks and burned them onto 2 CDs, but each track still flows right into the next one. Come to think of it, I listen to that version of Damnation more than the actual album. It feels a little more free flowing, laid back and dreamy. ......yeah that sounded gay I know. lol :p

And I just love listening to the crowd, and Mike in between songs of course.