Rediscovering Damnation

wwallinga

Working on #3
Jan 26, 2004
NH/ME Border
I always treated this album as different than the others because, well, it is. Anytime we rank the albums, Damnation gets an NA from me because it is not directly comparable to their other albums.

I also have found myself not listening to Damnation much lately. But I just dusted it off and took it for a spin. What a record. Fraught with emotion. Every track is unique and both beautiful and dark at the same time.

My favorites are Windowpane, Hope Leaves, To Rid The Disease and Weakness. I especially love the way Weakness ends the album. I know a lot of people don't like this song much, but turn the sound way up and just listen. Amazing.

For any others who have neglected Damnation lately - give it another chance. You will be rewarded!

I sold my copy of Damnation.
It's SO boring.

Hope Leaves is the only song I can still listen to.

Yeah Damnation is great. It always brings back memories of when I was first getting into it. I try not to listen to it much though, saving it for special times. :)

It's the album that got me into Opeth, and remains my favorite.

But yeah, you can't compare it to any of the others, which is good, its nice to see that drastic shift from typical opeth to Damnation.

I agree with you though...Weakness is a great track and a perfect closer...and i love listening to ghost of perdition right after it...because they flow so well togther IMO.

vampyré said:
I sold my copy of Damnation.
It's SO boring.

Hope Leaves is the only song I can still listen to.

Huh?

Damnation is great, love it. Windowpane is definitely the pick of the songs IMO.

Hrmm, I love Damnation, it's probably my second favourite Opeth album after Blackwater Park....I love it because it's such a contrast to their other albums, but I also really love it for the lyrics, and atmosphere it creates.....

Windowpane, In My Time of Need and Weakness are brilliant songs.

Shieldman said:
Hrmm, I love Damnation, it's probably my second favourite Opeth album after Blackwater Park....I love it because it's such a contrast to their other albums, but I also really love it for the lyrics, and atmosphere it creates.....

Windowpane, In My Time of Need and Weakness are brilliant songs.

the lyrics? woah boy

i think they used way too much keyboards it would have been better if they didnt use them that much, some songs just sound too gay and cheesy plus the sound is just too fake, tho i do like the album it would have been better with less keys

cuntface said:
i think they used way too much keyboards it would have been better if they didnt use them that much
Yup, I was a bit disappointed at first because of that. I thought it would be more like the BWP bonus tracks, acoustic guitars with some solos here and there. But still, I like this album a lot, though it could have been made longer.

I love it too, but don't listen to it as much as the other records. I think the other albums hold interest better because I keep finding something else in them, wheras Damnation is a bit more "what you hear is what you get". Still a very nice album though.