Rediscovering Damnation

tgrude said:
Thats funny, cause Hope Leaves is my least favourite. It's Mike fav. too, I really just cant figure out why. But its all about opinions.

Damnation is a true masterpiece imo, not only in the prog-rock genrè, but generally.

Yeah I find it odd too. Hope Leaves and Weakness are the two most unexciting tracks on the disc in my opinion. But all the other tracks are just awesome.

Ruby Eyes said:
Yeah I find it odd too. Hope Leaves and Weakness are the two most unexciting tracks on the disc in my opinion. But all the other tracks are just awesome.

I'll agree about Weakness, but hope leaves ??? That's my favorite track on the album. I worship every note of that song.

I don't think it's a bad song or anything. I could just never get into it as much as the others. To each their own though.

Damnation is my 2nd favorite after Ghost Reveries. IMO the only thing that was lacking on this album was the drum sound. They sound like they were done very quickly. Actually, everything's pretty much fine except for the snare. The snare is just bleh...

Bierce85 said:
Damnation is my 2nd favorite after Ghost Reveries. IMO the only thing that was lacking on this album was the drum sound. They sound like they were done very quickly. Actually, everything's pretty much fine except for the snare. The snare is just bleh...

How dare thee question the talents of the great Martin Lopez...

Bierce85 said:

ahhhhhhh!!!!!!! i fucking love the drum production...especially the snare. its very up-close...in a way, it sounds so real, that it sounds fake...like its in your (my) head or something.

NineFeetUnderground said:

minus the selling part. but i never listen to it. quite average in most respects.

You think Damnation is average? What the hell are you listening to?

fantastic bump indeed. damnation is close to my favourite album. the production on this one is far and away my favourite. its so warm and LUSH! the only low point would be death whispered a lullaby. i wish SW had stuck exclusively to production.

Closure & Ending Credits are good tracks. Windowpane is good but just drags on too long. The rest of the album I liked for a while but either over listened to it or just realised there's better music out there.

vampyré;4802201 said:
I sold my copy of Damnation.
It's SO boring.

Hope Leaves is the only song I can still listen to.

You what:OMG: sold it, are you stupid:p if you are a true opeth collecter you sould have any album, even if you not like it, and Damnation is really one of my favorite albums, I could really like to lissen to it, but when I think of it I havent lissend to much to it latley, but its not of any reason:p I really like Damnation, and Deliverence, they are my favorites i guess:)
So to bad you sold your copy..

Damnation is top 3 best Opeth albums ever. There is no need to defend the greatness that is To Rid The Disease(not to mention the whole album as whole).

People have the habit to say: ''i used to like it, but then i discovered better music'' wth, i knew extreme quality music before i heard that album, and i know a lot of albums that are better than Damnation, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is a damn fine album.