I can't decide if this is a good thing or not

avi

W3RK3R
Aug 21, 2002
Oly, WA
www.itsatrap.com
so I'm in between positions at work right now.

that means both my current dept. and my next one are reluctant to give me work. hence, I have pretty much jack shit to do.

it's nice.

but

lonely

and

boring

a friend of mine has this girl at work with sickle cell anemia who totally plays up her sickness in order to dodge work and slack. everyone hates her, and she threatens to sue for discrimination if they terminate her on a daily basis. yesterday, she was found sleeping curled up in a stadium blanket using a phone book for a pillow under her desk with two chairs blocking her cube entrance.

that looks like i meant it in response to an

troll.jpg

but i was honestly asking for medical reasons.

i mean, ... jesus. you can only sue for discrimination for a disability if you are fired for being sick but you can STILL perform the essential functions of your job with in a reasonable standard. if she doesn't file for a 'reasonable accomodation' for sleeping at her desk or saying she needs help b/c she's disabled, they can fire her. what a dipshit.

well sounds like she hasn't even invoked the ADA guidelines. so, as my boss would say 'you can't get fired for being disabled, but you can get fired for being an asshole'.

i'm taking a class on IDEA now (which is similar) and the professor keeps repeating "if you don't TELL ME about your disability, i will not ACCOMODATE your disability". you can't just cite a disability when you're caught slacking.

alex: that's what i mean. those laws have to be invoked. they don't just stand in protection. a person has to file a 'reasonable accomodation request' otherwise, no go.