I can't decide what to buy next.. help!

jipchen

ForesterStudio
Nov 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
www.facebook.com
Haha, kind of a stupid thread but anyways:
I've got around 500€ to buy some new stuff..
And i just can't decide what to buy next. There are still some (drum)mics missing to complete my homestudio, but as i can't record drums for the next 6 months i won't buy them right now.

So, i was thinking of some nice plug-ins. The Waves Silver Bundle is at 409€ right now, which is 35% off the previous price, and the offer is limited so i don't know how long they will sell the bundle that cheap. Is it worth it? I don't want to spend the money and then realize logic's EQs and compressors sound as good / better. Any other plug-ins you'd recommend me?

Another option: a 5-string bass. I'm a guitarist and no bass player, but i somehow want to try it. During the last weeks i tracked guitars for my bands EP, but no one of us has a good bass. Plus i want to be able to track the bass for my own music. But i'm not shure if the bass is really needed (for the "studio", as bands will most certainly bring their own bass. Or is a good bass like a good snare, that will always come in handy? :guh:

Or, third option: A nice mic. I'm thinking of a Audio Technica AT 4040 or a Shure SM7b. Perhaps a Beyerdynamic M201?
(Drum mics i'll buy in the next months will be rode nt5s, another sm57 and an audix d6)

Fourth option: something completely different? Suggestions please?
What do you think i could need?

I CANT FUCKING DECIDE :lol:
While wiriting this, i think i shoud not buy a bass, because the other things will be more useful for my projectstudio :err:

The stuff i allready got:
MacBook Pro / Fireface 800 / Presonus FP-10(just as micpre) / Adam A7s / Logic Studio 9 / Toneport GX / LittleLabs RED-EYE / AKG K-271 mkII / AKG K-301
ApTrigga2 / POD Farm / SSD EX+Metal Pack ;) / Blue Tubes Analog TrackBox / Peavey 6505+ / ENGL e412 VS / ESP LTD Eclipse500 / Mics: Beta57, MD412, NT1, SM57

Oh and yeah, i will need acoustic treatment, but i'll move out in my own flat in july and want to treat those rooms as good as possible, therefore i won't spent money on that for now. I'll measure the rooms and everything. At least i hope i will :loco:

God, if I had the money I would love an SM7, do you have a second screem for the macbook? I recently bought a second screen and I love it

Haha i know it sounds like some guy having a serious GAS attack, but in fact in want to build up a solid projectstudio (sooner or later).
So it's not just for teh lulz, but an investion for the future ;) I hope so, at least.
As i said, i'll move out in july, into a small building with no neighbours i could disturb, and i can do to the rooms whatever i want, so while studying audio enigneering i want to get serious about recording, do some acoustic treatment and get the business going :D It's not that there are too few bands that want me to record them, it's that i have absolutely NO time atm.

God, if I had the money I would love an SM7, do you have a second screem for the macbook? I recently bought a second screen and I love it
Haha yeah, i got a 24" BenQ TFT and i love it :tickled:
I feel like everything is quicker and easier now, definitely a good decision.

The SM7 seems nice and everything but on the other hand i allready have an okay vocal mic (nt-1 - no dynamic one, though).
I tracked the vocals (screams) with a sennheiser e935 and i think it's pretty cool. I think i will drive to a music store tomorrow and have a closer look at the sm7 aka ugliest mic ever.

Ah very good, the second monitor does make the workflow smoother imo. Ya, the rodes are a real nice mic too, I recently used the NT2000 to track vocals and man that mic was amazing (especially after using a Behringer B1)
What about revalver MK III ? although it looks like you have some nice guitar plugs already. Man, seriously you do have some nice gear!

Thanks for your answer btw, i forgot that in the previous post.

I've got the demo of the revalver and i think it's pretty cool, i was playing through it for what seemed nearly a year while my amp was in the bandroom miles away and i could only play once a week.
But i don't like guitar plug-ins in general. It's not that they sound bad, my miced tones were much worse until now ( :lol: ). I just want to learn micing amps better.
(My most recent tone, no bass: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3245929/6505-beta57_2.mp3)

The get-a-bass-or-not thing has btw just become redundant as i got a phonecall and we now have a new bass player. With a nice LTD bass, so i'll see that soon.

Thats a nice tone man, I see you used the beta 57 too, thats what I've been trying recently too. I know what you mean about the plugins, I was the same trying to get the elusive mic'd cab to sound good. I think I may have to get it soon though as my 4x12 days are coming to an end as I'll be moving to a new place :(
Congrats on getting the bassist, the LTD basses are nice indeed. I'm sure someone else on here will have some more advice on where you should spend your cash ;)