Help me to decide what to buy =)

Evolution666

Jun 26, 2007
Sweden
I have used Digi 003 and Fireface 800 and they are nice! Fireface is still running nice in our rehearsal.

Now I need something new at home. The thing is that I will need 3 DI for just "playing around" at the same time in between but I only need 1 SERIOUS AWESOME DI + soundcard ...

So my questions is should I go for a Fireface 400 + DI/Preamp box or a Fireface 800 plain ? As I don't really need all the inputs on a FF 800 I simply wonder if I would get better DI for guitar spending it on FF400 + DI box ?

Any suggestions or inputs on this? I feel I really don't care but in the end it would be stupid to spend money on a FF 800 if I can get something that will make the tone and sound much better .......

If you think FF400 + DI which box do you suggest?
I play only with EMG 81's in all my axes!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about the DI, but the consensus is that the FF400 has slightly better pres than the FF800. Since you say you don't need the extra inputs, I'd definitely say go for the 400 + a decent DI (like a Countryman Type 85 for example, which would be an excellent match with active pickups like 81's).

Thanks for your input mate. I got hold on a used FF 800 and the price was so good so I went for it!
If it fun cause some say FF800 have better pres and some say 400 have better =) In the end I guess it is a very small difference.

I will need to get a DI sooner or later ... Do you know if the Countryman "sounds better" than the build in DI on the FF800 ?

Cheers!