I did a little Mic Pre shootout. Chandler TG2, API 512c, Neve 1073DPA

Gonna guess:
1 - Chandler
2 - Neve
3 - API

I like the tightness of 3 but I also think 2 would work really well in something that didn't need tightness but benefitted a different character than 3 provided. 1 was a bit loose at first but the chording part sounded better than in number 2.

I like the 2 and 3 clip, probably in that case the 2 is the more balanced, the first clip is the chandler?

Gonna guess:
1 - Chandler
2 - Neve
3 - API

I like the tightness of 3 but I also think 2 would work really well in something that didn't need tightness but benefitted a different character than 3 provided. 1 was a bit loose at first but the chording part sounded better than in number 2.

+1

The problem is, you've got distorted guitars, which contain a lot of frequencies that will mask the effect of driving the preamp. Using a kick drum recording would be much more revealing imho.

I prefer 2 and 3 no doubts...I would assume 3 is the API 2 is the Neve and 1 is the TG2. Wagers fav pre for guitars is the TG2 right?

I'll take a listen later on my monitors but if you still have the pre's, you could do some different takes with 2-3-4 different settings on each one. You know, more less drive, input...

Thanks anyway, I appreciate it.

Do not have a clue which is wich. Just listening on cans over here. Number 1 seems to be the brightest, gonna guess API, number 3 is Neve, seems a bit darker and smoother. Clip 2 seems to be a bit in between the other two.

I like number 3 the most, Clip nr 2 on second place and Clip Nr 1 finish last as it is the fizziest and brightest of them.

Btw.. A friend of mine is buying the new Neve 500 series, I'll see if i can arrange a shootout then.

Do not have a clue which is wich. Just listening on cans over here. Number 1 seems to be the brightest, gonna guess API, number 3 is Neve, seems a bit darker and smoother. Clip 2 seems to be a bit in between the other two.

I like number 3 the most, Clip nr 2 on second place and Clip Nr 1 finish last as it is the fizziest and brightest of them.

I would have said the same as you but I suck at guessing which is wich when it comes to gear so you're probably wrong.
Honestly, while I can clearly hear the difference (on my new awesome monitors), there's nothing that can make or break a guitar sound here imho. So it's always weird to me when someone comes in and claims "oh my god, the difference is huuuuuuuuuuuuge, almost as biiiiiiiig as my e-weeny!!!!!"...
@zver: No offense :)

2 seems a bit quieter btw.