I did another Impulse Pack

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
Some of you may know that a while ago I put out an impulse pack, the link is in my signature. I received lots of positive feedback on this pack, but for myself, I was not really satisfied with the way the results came out. I've spent some extra time learning the impulse making process (it's not necessarily as artistic and easy flowing as reamping, more like taking a math test...) and I think this pack has come out better.

Here is a clip using my 5150 as a preamp with both guitar and bass processed by the Alpha IR:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/Lasse Mago Impulse Test 4 (V2).mp3

Here are the descriptions of the desired end tones again.

Alpha - A standard tight and clear modern high gain type impulse
Beta - Tight, but darker, for bright guitars or sims
Gamma - Great for crunch tones or for adding 'vintage' vibe
Delta - Like Alpha, but extended bass response
Epsilon - Combination Beta and Delta, big bass response and dark top

and the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8838613/JakeAC5253 - Impulses V2.zip

Somebody with Axe FX, or Axe FX II, please chime in and let me know if these .syx files work out for you. I tried using the conversion program, but I'm actually pretty sure I messed up, and no Axe FX to test it out on.

just a tip for those of us who have 2 billion impulses, tag the filename with your username of even a nickname, ala:

"JakeAC5253 - Impulses V2"

this way they are easy to find in a big folder AND your name gets spread around more =D.

they sound FANTASTIC and I love your naming scheme

just a tip for those of us who have 2 billion impulses, tag the filename with your username of even a nickname, ala:

"JakeAC5253 - Impulses V2"

this way they are easy to find in a big folder AND your name gets spread around more =D.

they sound FANTASTIC and I love your naming scheme

Thanks for the great review!

I was thinking that in the beginning as well, about putting my name in the download, thought it might come off whorish. But since you mention it too, hell, I guess now is as good a time as any to be a whore, I updated the pack with new attention-whore naming scheme :lol:

nah dude, it's not whoring yourself. it's about being smart and making sure your 'marketing' is on spot from the get-go. =D

You never know what this might lead to, and what THAT might lead to, etc.... your NAME is the one CONSTANT in this equation =D

i tag EVERY file I create for the interwebz, hahahah

I always wondered why you did this...!
What a great idea!

hahahaha, you noticed, Marcus?! :lol:

Yeah I mean, it just always made sense to me. Plus it follows along well with my personal organization theme.

If I spot a file with my name tagged at the end of it, I KNOW right away it's a version I worked on.

Hi Jake, what was different in the creation process? to me this sounds a bit smoother than the original.

Few things. As far as making them goes, I think I got better at choosing the in and out points of the speaker response WAV file. It's weird because that sort of thing actually has a pronounced effect on the tone of the resulting IR file. Guess that's one of the quirks of using a room reverb process to simulate a mostly static EQ curve from a speaker? Aside from that, I did use a little different room positioning and acoustic treatment than last time, but not much different. Same power amp settings for each file though, and same mic.

I'm debating whether to offer custom made impulses. It seems this pack of only a single amp > cab > mic combination is fairly successful, and also pretty diverse soundwise given the gear remains the same. I suppose I could probably dial in an impulse to meet someone's needs just like I do when reamping. Any interest?

just tired the AXE-FX II files and they all work!
really nice impulses, some are very brigt and some are more bassy >>> combined they SLAY! :D

thanks a lot man!

just tired the AXE-FX II files and they all work!
really nice impulses, some are very brigt and some are more bassy >>> combined they SLAY! :D

thanks a lot man!

You are welcome friend. So the Axe allows you to blend more than one IR at the same time? That's pretty cool.

can you give some more info about the chain? :)

I used my 5150 with varying Res/Pres settings to get the different flavors. Boogie OS cab with well broken-in V30's and miked by a single SM57. Also, I've got lots of acoustic treatment in my recording environment as well, including a couple of the largest and thickest Roxul packs that they make, packing blankets, additional spot treatment, and an Auralex Great Gramma decoupling the cab from the floor. Overall, this is just a stab at some pretty generic and versatile tonal colors that should work with a wide range of different rigs.

Today I received my impulses. I can say that this man is nice to have it! In a short time and at affordable price, I received a set of pulses that sound great! I will continue to work further with it and recommend it to everybody!

Sorry for my English.

Today I received my impulses. I can say that this man is nice to have it! In a short time and at affordable price, I received a set of pulses that sound great! I will continue to work further with it and recommend it to everybody!

Sorry for my English.

:kickass:

Thanks for the review, and glad you are enjoying your custom IRs.