I FUCKING HATE OWNING A CAR.

Holy fuck I'm pissed. Bought a used VW Golf 2,5 months ago. So far here's what we've had to do to it:

- Replace the back door lock
- Replace the whole clutch
- Replace one rear ball joint
- Tighten all the bearings
- Replace both front bearings
- Tighten the muffle joints

Now I got a call from the repair shop and they told me the transmission is nearly dead meat. That's another 600€, and needless to say, I don't fucking have 600€ right now. The car cost 2100€, and after replacing the transmission, the repairs have cost about 1500€ total. Fortunately the dealer paid for the clutch, so we haven't had to pay it all ourselves, but still. Fuck.

Oh yeah, and the driver's window is stuck. FML.

dude, you got fucked.
a golf for 2500 that needs that much repair?
I guess someone's laughing his arse off right now waving 2500$.

sorry to hear about that though, but didn't you check the car (or have it checked) before you bought it?

yeh me too.
mine has reached an age where every service is so expensive it might be time to scrap it.

dude, you got fucked.
a golf for 2500 that needs that much repair?
I guess someone's laughing his arse off right now waving 2500$.

sorry to hear about that though, but didn't you check the car (or have it checked) before you bought it?

Haha, I fucking know. It wasn't even some shady dude dumping his old four-wheeled coffin, it was a car shop with good reputation.

I took it to a condition check a week after I bought it (I noticed the clutch when driving it home from the dealer and got them to pay for it, so that was already dealt with), but they hadn't noticed the transmission.

I just called the consumer adviser, and he told me pretty much what you just said: "You're fucked."

So, now my options are to sell it and lose all the money we've put in it so far, leaving us with about a 1000€ of losses, or fix the transmission ourselves for 600€. And I just ordered a custom guitar a couple days back, hahahahahaha :lol:

Yep, looking at a $300 repair tomorrow, and that is ONLY because they were able to find a used part. It was gonna be $750.

I LOATH cars.

I hear ya. I'm having a used gearbox installed and it's 600€ (that's about $790). On the top of it all, I can't enjoy driving one fucking bit because I'm constantly thinking the piece of shit will explode or at least catch fire any moment.

We took a quick glance at our financial situation and realized we have to call the bank to add 600€ to our car loan so we can get it fixed before the transmission blows up. Fuck this shit.

Oh, did I mention I also hate bands who cancel their bookings WITHOUT EVEN BOTHERING TO LET ME KNOW? What the fuck is that all about? I'm not doing a single booking without a 30% non-refundable deposit ever again.

I think you should have posted:
"I fucking hate owning a second hand jurassic car".

VW Golf 2, it must be more than 20 years old!. I owned a VW Golf 1 GTI (1980), it lasted 20 years, but then everything started failing and I mean EVERYTHING.

I think you should have posted:
"I fucking hate owning a second hand jurassic car".

VW Golf 2, it must be more than 20 years old!. I owned a VW Golf 1 GTI (1980), it lasted 20 years, but then everything started failing and I mean EVERYTHING.

It's not a II, it's a III. A -97 model with the 1.8 engine that's supposed to be one of the most durable engines VW have made. I hardly consider it jurassic, even though it isn't exactly a modern car, either.

Shit dude. Not a good sign.
What's the milage/ kms on it?
Mine's at ~145,000 and luckily I've only had clutch and front bearing this year. I hope I don't get to that stage with it soon, though I'm also suspecting a transmission for me too within the next few years.

Shit dude. Not a good sign.
What's the milage/ kms on it?
Mine's at ~145,000 and luckily I've only had clutch and front bearing this year. I hope I don't get to that stage with it soon, though I'm also suspecting a transmission for me too within the next few years.

250.000km / 155.000 miles. I hope it'll finally serve it's purpose when the transmission is replaced. I'm fucking tired of owning a car that's constantly broken.

155k miles is nearing the end of the road for that thing, tbh. The tranny rebuild will help, but I can't help but think that other major parts are going to start to fail soon after.

That said, is there not some kind of "lemon law" in Finland? It's different for every state in the US (the specifics of it), but we have laws where if you buy a car and it fucks up based on the seller not advertising it adequately or a manufacturer defect or something, they, by law, are required to buy it back from you for the money you paid minus some fee for how long it drove well for.

My dad had to do that on his BMW last year - it was an 08 model, and the x35 engine was relatively new/running into some serious problems. The dealership had to buy the car back from him at near full cost.

155k miles is nearing the end of the road for that thing, tbh. The tranny rebuild will help, but I can't help but think that other major parts are going to start to fail soon after.

Have to disagree here, this model has a good reputation of going well beyond the 300.000km mark. If I get 50.000km more out of this car, it has been well worth the money.

That said, is there not some kind of "lemon law" in Finland? It's different for every state in the US (the specifics of it), but we have laws where if you buy a car and it fucks up based on the seller not advertising it adequately or a manufacturer defect or something, they, by law, are required to buy it back from you for the money you paid minus some fee for how long it drove well for.

My dad had to do that on his BMW last year - it was an 08 model, and the x35 engine was relatively new/running into some serious problems. The dealership had to buy the car back from him at near full cost.

Yeah, but as I said, I already talked with the consumer adviser, and he didn't give me much hope. And judging from how the shop dealt with the whole clutch thing, I'm pretty sure I'm fucked in terms of returning it. They actually called my father, who was completely oblivious of the whole deal, apparently because they had his contact information in their database and our names are almost identical, and started giving him shit about "a used car is a used car, it's your problem now, not ours" in a really aggressive tone. Needless to say I wasn't very pleased about that when I called them again... Fucking unprofessional assholes.

I've had the same sort of problems with my '96 Peugeot 306. In one year time had to do repairs for more than a 1000 euros... but now it's been solid for 3-4 years, so I'm not complaining. When you buy older cars, you have more repairs. So you spend less in the purchase, but more in maintenance. Still sucks when you have to pay that amount of money...

When I bought my car a friend came with me who is a car mechanic. He said the car was like new, but it broke down twice in the first year... :(

Well, replacing the transmission wasn't enough. The rear shocks need to be replaced too. So, we paid 225€ today, and another 800€ when we get the transmission and shocks changed. That makes the total sum of the repairs... TA-DAH! Almost exactly the amount we paid for the car. Of course we were prepared to get some work done on it, but this a bit ridiculous.

Oh well, hope the bank understands our situation and we get that white bastard fixed ASAP.

I can't figure out how you paid 2k for a car with 155k miles on the clock, are car prices that expensive in Finland?