i get to leave work today at like, noon

The people who love Martha aren't the intellectual elite; middlebrow connotes a very conventional person, while highbrow is a lot less so. Yuppies are middlebrow, as they effect their (essentially) lowbrow culture by appropriating aspects of highbrow culture, resulting in what maybe seems highbrow on the surface but isn't really more cerebral than NASCAR.

OK, but one last Stephen King thing: Hearts in Atlantis is really good. The movie is abyssmal, but the book is surprisingly good. Mostly straight fiction, all the heebeejeebee supernatural stuff is over in the first third, which is the worst part of the book (IMO) and is the part they made the movie out of.

this afternoon will be okay. i do this like once every few weeks or so in the bronx. it's what i do everyday here in manhattan/bklyn.

anyway, i just have always been turned off to king's writing style. sayin. that's all.

Insomnia turned me off so hard it was like yanking the chain right out of your ceiling fan. I haven't really been able to enjoy a Stephen King book since (Green Mile was ok, but I didn't even like Wizard and Glass at ALL).

Yeah, preppy, seriously- that takes a lot of guts to do what you do. I feel rather small in my silly desk job right now. My gf is a nurse in labor/delivery, and has to deal with people dying, on drugs, drunk, etc. all the time and I have no idea how she does it.

The movie is abyssmal

ava_abismal.jpg

tru dat eric. my best friend worked in AIDS advocacy for years (now she's in school for public health & social work at Columbia) and it would seriously fuck her shit up. i did non-profit for a year and it all but burned me out.

just to present the flip-side of the coin, I know a certain person who worked in non-profits in NYC for a while and is now going to grad school for public policy, etc.
She would always talk about how good of a person she was comparatively with other people, except she was actually an asshole and a terrible person in her social and family life.
Kind of like the award-winning pediatrician who beats his own kid.