I hate everything i write

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Anybody else have this problem? When im writing a song im usually so into and i love it, but once i start listening to it more and more i complain its to generic and too simple and too boring and yada yada yada. I feel like i really have never wrote a song that I think is truly spectacular.

For example, here is something I wrote last night. Its just guitars and drums. Doesnt have an intro yet. While I was writing it, i was like "omg this sounds awesome" and now i listen to it and its so blah to me.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113488/NEW SONG.wav

Whenever I think my stuff sucks I send it out to get reviews and feedback. Let others decide. Music doesn't need to be technical to be good and let me tell you that your song isn't simple! You have some solid writing but it still sounds like an idea to me. Maybe because of the lack of bass and vocals. Sounds like solid melodic death to me! Could be different genres though. Could be metalcore with clean singing, could be melodic death with heavy vocals. Any way it's good stuff.

Can't listen to it right now sorry, but I do have the same problem.

I can't write shit. When I do I hate it and give up = no results.

no results = no feedback/reviews. finish your songs and send them out. Self-confidence is a pretty big part for liking your own material. I love my own stuff and I'm pretty sure if I love it others will love it too. Believe in your stuff.

I learned that production quality can fuck with the writer's perspective of what it is good. With that in mind, the music itself is sounding good for the first few seconds I have listened to, I think the production is not doing the song its justice and actually clouding the "amazingness" of a really good song.

I used to scrap a bunch of songs because I thought they where shit, years later, a few I thought about redoing, and eventually got around to redoing one, and its funny because in the end it was a solid track. Writing, tracking and mixing means that the writer can easily listen to the entire song and or riffs a few hundred times and not even know it. Then you get burnt out on listening to it and think its nothing special, which leads you to finding everything wrong with it that the average listener would never notice even if they heard the song a few hundred times over the course of a few years.

I'm the same way, but I think its because my songs have never had vocals on them, I did, however, have vocals on one track and after being burnt out on it, actually fell in love with it all over again, and in the end I was really surprised how well the song was written. At the same time I feel that I could write better, or I expect better songwriting from myself than I am capable of, between that and getting burnt out on writting/mixing the songs it leaves me spiraling into a world where I am rate shit when in reality while I am not great, I am far from being shit as well.