I hate reading threads about metal on non-metal boards.

I'm shocked you didn't list Man O War..though is that trad or power? Anyhow I agree with your list, even if I haven't listened to much Jag Panzer.

Certainly more american power metal. Crimson Glory, Heir Apparent, early Queensryche, early Fates Warning. Rainbow's Rising for the historical viewpoint...

Before power metal ment 'happy metal like latter Helloween' it was just 'Heavy Metal 2.0 newer and improved!'. Certainly that era needs to be covered, though there's this trend of retconning that stuff as vanilla heavy metal, but then if you listen to Legend and Gargoyle back to back you see the distinction was very real! You say Jag Panzer cross from power metal territory onto other things, whereas Jag Panzer are what power metal IS from that point of view. Heavy Metal, only louder, faster, more precise, more expansive, more everything.

Certainly more american power metal. Crimson Glory, Heir Apparent, early Queensryche, early Fates Warning. Rainbow's Rising for the historical viewpoint...

Before power metal ment 'happy metal like latter Helloween' it was just 'Heavy Metal 2.0 newer and improved!'. Certainly that era needs to be covered, though there's this trend of retconning that stuff as vanilla heavy metal, but then if you listen to Legend and Gargoyle back to back you see the distinction was very real! You say Jag Panzer cross from power metal territory onto other things, whereas Jag Panzer are what power metal IS from that point of view. Heavy Metal, only louder, faster, more precise, more expansive, more everything.

I was trying to stay in the spirit of what he was asking. The guy's starting off with HammerFall and Dragonforce in his initial "interested in!" list, so I figure get him looking at the good stuff in that corner and don't try to expand that until he complains that he's listening to a whole bunch of weenie shit. :D

If a dude doesn't understand and like Heir Apparent and Fates Warning on the first 5-10 listens he can just as well quit HM without any of this 'gateway drug' mentality. He's not needed.