I have been thinking....

Dec 8, 2005
I have been planning on going to Musicians Institute for schooling after high school. But I hear from some people that I should just go to Berklee for 4 years instead of going to MI for a year and a half. It got me thinking about my situation. I would like to join a band and get our music out as much as possible, and tour constantly. So has anyone been to MI, or knows someone who went? I am visiting it in a couple months, but what are your guys' opinions about it?

this leads me to my next question. Are good grades in high school necessary to be successful in music?

k, good. I mean I have average grades, but I want to put forth all of my time to guitar, and not do homework.

I stopped doing homework, studying and generally giving a fuck about my grades since 7th grade. I literally did a weeks worth of homework from 7th-12th grade, and I are teh shredzorz.

Answer: Fuck high school, music comes first.

Eric LaRue's Senior Recital: Part I - Google Video

That is a video of a recent senior recital at berklee. Once you finish laughing at the fact that he was even allowed to get far enough through berklee to do a senior recital, try this one out for size: he was allowed to graduate. The bass/guitar players are both in the 2nd/3rd semester, which is also laughable. As almost anyone who goes there, has applied to, or has dealt with Berklee will tell you.....they are pretty much just riding on their name. I applied to berklee and went through the audition process and everything, and my experiences with them were anything but pleasant. They have a few good teachers there and some highly respectable alumi, but quite frankly they just aren't the school they are made out to be these days. That's not to say there aren't talented people who go to berklee these days, but the people who do well there (or at any music school) are the people who were good players with lots of motivation/work ethic well before ever stepping foot on a college campus. If you (or anyone else reading this) really feels like they are getting their money's worth (about 40 thousand per year) by going to Berklee, then go for it. I wish I had that kind of money to burn. I am grateful every day that I didn't end up going there.

As far as MI goes, while I'd reccomend it over Berklee anyday, I've heard many mixed reports about it. Most of the guys I know who went there went during the early 90's so I don't have many first hand accounts of what the school is like now. I didn't apply there just because I didn't want to go to school in LA and their curriculum didn't appeal to me all that much. Definitely wait until you visit the school before you set your heart on it and try to talk to some alumni and current students (preferably not ones who are working for the school or part of a recruiting program).

You should also take into account what level of education you want to receive. Is the 18 month program you're looking at an associates degree program or one of their certificate programs? If it is a certificate program (i.e. you aren't shooting for a degree), then look into the Los Angeles Music Academy. They do a 1-year certificate program, it is cheaper than MI (at least it was when I was doing my research for school). You'll still be in LA and be "in" on the scene and getting a comparable education while saving some $$. There is also the Atlanta Institute of Music, who also does a certificate program (can't remember how long of a program it is). It is definitely cheaper than MI and I have heard nothing but good things about them. That would have been one of my choice schools if not for the fact that A) I want a degree and B) its a lot further from home.

I currently go to McNally Smith college of music in St. Paul Minnesota. It certainly isn't as well known as Berklee or MI, but it is cheaper than both and I am getting as good (if not better) of an education as I would have gotten at either Berklee or MI. A lot of the staff are Berklee alumni and some have even taught there for a long time. Cost of living is a lot lower in St. Paul than LA or Boston, it's a much safer city than LA, and the scene here is growing really fast (as is the school). I enjoy school here a lot. The smaller class sizes are a huge plus when compared to Berklee or MI and the faculty here is just great. Great recording studios here, really nice facilities, etc. The production and business programs are great here too, so it's easy to build good connections. It has it's flaws just like any other place (there are at least half dozen guitarists who started this past semester who have be baffled as to how they were able to get into a music school, or out of high school for that matter) and there are a few things about the curriculum that I think need to be addessed. These however are very slight things that I am nitpicking over and wont bother going into detail about.

I guess the basic point I am trying to get across to you is this: don't limit your search to only a couple schools, because there are lots of great ones out there and a lot that aren't exactly as appealing as they may seem. College is not an investment that should be taken lightly so make sure you find the school that is right for you. Also, try to define your goals as clearly as possible, because if you aren't sure of your goals then you're going to have a hell of a time trying to choose a college. People would also be able to give you much better advice if you gave more information about what it is you are looking for in a school. That being said, if your ultimate goal is to be in a band and tour, then going to college is a rather unwise (not to mention expensive) way of going about that regardless of what school it is.

If you have any questions about anything regarding music school (questions about specific schools, what to look for, how to prepare, etc.) feel free to ask because I did a LOT of research on a LOT of schools and would be more than happy to help you out.

PS

Regarding the "Fuck highschool" sentiment that is being expressed here: worst advice ever. Illiteracy is enough of a problem in this day and age without people encouraging each other to disregard education. All colleges (whether you are going to Harvard, MI, or some community college in a podunk town in the midwestern US) looks at grades. If it is an accredited school, they have to take grades into consideration and maintain some standard. MI is no exception to that. Not to mention that if you are going for a degree, you WILL have to take General Education courses and you will have to pass them to graduate. Like it or not, grades are a reflection of your work ethic and schools consider this. Even if you do meet the minimum grade requirements a school has, there may be a situation where there are more applicants than there are available spots in a school. If it comes down to you and one other guy who is at a similar level (musically) but has a GPA of 4.0 compared to your 2.5, guess who isn't getting that spot?

MI excepts anyone pretty much regardless of grades. As long as you have money, anyone can get in. That is why the drop out rate in the first 3 weeks is 35%. Because the course is so hard and they push you really hard.

MI excepts anyone pretty much regardless of grades. As long as you have money, anyone can get in. That is why the drop out rate in the first 3 weeks is 35%. Because the course is so hard and they push you really hard.

I know for a fact they have a GPA requirement for their degree programs and I am 99.9% sure their certificate programs do as well. You might want to do a little more research before you adopt the whole "grades don't matter" mentality.

EDIT****

I just downloaded the updated catalog and it appears that they only ask for a copy of your diploma and not a transcript anymore. I couldn't find specific info on GPA requirements for entering students (which I believe was 2.5 when I was looking into it a while back). Depending on what program you are going into you WILL have to provide SAT or ACT scores and have an academic letter of reccomendation.

They do specify that completion of their programs requires a minimum of a 2.0 cumalative GPA. Assuming you do get in, the "fuck high school" mentality and the character traits that go along with that mentality 99% of the time will guarantee your failure. Regardless of what you may be expecting, doing well in a good college-level music program such as what MI is supposed to have (not trying to imply they don't because I don't have first hand experience) is a lot harder than anything you are doing or did in high school. There will still be plenty of things you will have to do that you might not like and if you don't have a really strong work ethic then you will be screwed.

thanks for your advice. That work ethic thing you were talking about is totally true. I am just exploring different possibilities.