Question On Theory

Yeah, I know Matt "Yngvai X" knows way, way more than me on theory, and I know he is right, what can I say, he studied under Joe Stump at Berklee, and I'm here as an soon to be 11th grader arguing with him. It's just ridiculous, I could never win.

fallen2289 said:
Actually that solo could also be in D# Lydian#9, because the rhythm suggests to that note, but not as much as D Phrygian Dom. They are all relative so it doesn't matter too much.

If we're talking about modes of G harmonic minor, that would be spelt Eb Lydian #9 (not trying to be nitpicky, but as a general rule when you're spelling out a 7 note scale, you try to not repeat a letter in the spelling, hence for G harmonic minor (and related modes) the notes would be G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F#). And even if there are other notes accented in that rhythm part, the overall tonality resolves to D. Thats like saying in a chord progression going C F G C that it could be in F lydian...which would be wrong because the overall tonality of that chord progression is C major.

And yes, modes do matter. If you can, check out Gambale's DVD "modes: no more mystery" because the way he explains modes on that really helps you to hear the distinction between them.

edit:

fallen2289 said:
Yeah, I know Matt "Yngvai X" knows way, way more than me on theory, and I know he is right, what can I say, he studied under Joe Stump at Berklee, and I'm here as an soon to be 11th grader arguing with him. It's just ridiculous, I could never win.

It shouldn't matter if I took lessons from Joe at Berklee or not, thats a little irrelevent...and its not about winning or losing a debate on theory. Ultimately I'm trying to provide accurate information here, not trying to show anyone up. For the record, there is a shitload that I don't know regarding theory :)

When i first saw Joe i thought he was a wanna-be Yngwie. But has soon as i got saw his intructional dvd i was like.

"This guy is the shit!!!"

Yngvai X said:
Ultimately I'm trying to provide accurate information here, not trying to show anyone up.

But's that's exactly what you are trying to do.

Okay, Yngwie you don't have to be such a dick about things. I have had it with talking to these fags on forums arguing over nothing. Some people just can't leave shit alone, my god. Who gives a shit over, Eb or D# its the same thing.

fallen2289 said:
Who gives a shit over, Eb or D# its the same thing.

Try spelling a C minor chord as C D# G on a test in your theory class and see if your teacher gives a shit over it when he/she grades it.

How am I being a dick? Don't get pissy at me for correcting stuff I'm finding off in what you're posting.

fallen2289 said:

I'm not too fussy on this sorta stuff, but when i'm reading a score it does help to have the distinction. Like if I think i'm playing an Eb when really its meant to be a D# then i'm going to just play all Eb's without thinking, when REALLY if it was D# then i'd want to be playing E naturals on all the E's.

Its just a bit of initial confusion to save even more confusion down the track.

But's that's exactly what you are trying to do.

Okay, Yngwie you don't have to be such a dick about things. I have had it with talking to these fags on forums arguing over nothing. Some people just can't leave shit alone, my god. Who gives a shit over, Eb or D# its the same thing.

YOU CANT TALK TO YNGWIE MALMSTEEN LIKE THAT!!!!!

Fallen, man, you're usually pretty cool, what's the matter? I know Matt personally, he's not trying to "show you up" or anything like that. And he DOES have a point. Just because notes are enharmonic doesn't mean they're theoretically interchangeable. Just relax, concede the point, and get back to worrying about more important shit, okay? It's not like there's any shame in saying, "alright, yeah, you have a point."

fallen2289 said:

Everyone who knows the slightest of theory actually. Why do you think double-sharps (x) and double-flats (bb) exists? Simply because melodic and harmonic intervals are specific.
If you take Yngvai's example of the Cmi chord then it's easy to understand. You start from the tonic (C) count up three steps and lower the found note (E) according to the minor formula which is 1 b3 5. Then of course you add the fifth.
If D# and Eb was the same like you insist, you wouldn't form a Cmi chord but instead a C D# G chord. Something like a D#6 without it's 5th interval.

PoisonSeed said:
Everyone who knows the slightest of theory actually. Why do you think double-sharps (x) and double-flats (bb) exists? Simply because melodic and harmonic intervals are specific.
If you take Yngvai's example of the Cmi chord then it's easy to understand. You start from the tonic (C) count up three steps and lower the found note (E) according to the minor formula which is 1 b3 5. Then of course you add the fifth.
If D# and Eb was the same like you insist, you wouldn't form a Cmi chord but instead a C D# G chord. Something like a D#6 without it's 5th interval.

Ermm... nope, since the third of D is F, a D#6 with no fifth would be written D# F##(x) B#. A chord spelled C D# G could be... a Gsus4#5 for example. Hmm I love theory haha. Ok I'm out. :)

Or since the F is ##'d, then it could be written as Eb G B#.... but written like that, some chord progressions might not work.... Yeah.

Of course someone sane will use Eb G C (not b# for the sixth if you use Eb as the root), I was just trying to be a little humorous...
The fact is, all the notes in the chord depend on the root you use. That's just to say that indeed, when writing music, it's important to know that Eb <> D#. Most guitar players who use tablatures don't realize that, but it's very important when you read partitions and it's supposed to make music reading easier (and it does !).