Theory on Guitar

I actually learned it in Music theory. And there are 6 patterns that are the same thing as a major scale, played at every tone on the fretboard. What are those called?

Depends on context. After reading your last post again I can't tell if you understand modes or not because you aren't providing context, but I can tell you for sure that this (whether it's because you don't understand modes or it just didn't come out right when you typed it):

"However, with the major scale, the modes (Ionian, Phrygian, Dorian, Aeolian, Lydian, Mixolydian, and Locrian) are all the same scale, they are just different patterns in different places on the fretboard (Example: "A" Ionian is the same as "F" Aeolian. So they sound the same, they just unlock the whole fretboard to play on, which in turn lets you go further technically. Basically, the modes are extensions of the root scale you are playing in."

is wrong. They have the same notes, but they are not the same. A Ionian and F# aeolian are not the same thing and definitely don't sound the same. If you play A Ionian over an A chord, you are (obviously) playing in the Ionian mode. It is impossible to play F# aeolian over an A chord. The problem is that people (mostly guitarists/pianists or similar instrumentalists) will be playing over an A major chord, play the notes of A Ionian starting with F# and mistakenly think they are playing F# aeolian, when all they are doing is just playing an alternate fingering of A Ionian...the term (and more importantly, the sound) F# aeolian will never come into play in that context.

It's all the same...do what sounds good to your ear...some of the best players have no idea what they're playing. The six patterns are the same notes running the length of the neck...in order to fully understand the theory, you need to separate yourself from the guitar fretboard and think universally.

+1

He uses diminished and symmetrical patterns a lot.

And his most well known licks are not scales, they're the tapped min7 dominant7 and diminished 7th arpeggios that are found in a vast majority of his solos, especially on their earlier albums.

People worry too much about modes. Its great to use modes to talk about stuff, but otherwise I really couldn't care less. Its not at all important if you consider all the other important stuff you could be learning.

Try a wholetone scale :). MRJ uses them sometimes and they're really cool.

He uses diminished and symmetrical patterns a lot.

And his most well known licks are not scales, they're the tapped min7 dominant7 and diminished 7th arpeggios that are found in a vast majority of his solos, especially on their earlier albums.

This sounds like it to me. I've noticed alot of players doing the symmetrical patterns and arpeggios. I dont understand them or have the syncopated dexterity to play fast enough to make it work though :erk:

I only got into the modes once and briefly but I will say, they left me confused. What I noticed upon learning a few patterns was that they were the same as a major scale pattern, just not rooted on... the root. So that didnt help me much.....

I only got into the modes once and briefly but I will say, they left me confused. What I noticed upon learning a few patterns was that they were the same as a major scale pattern, just not rooted on... the root. So that didnt help me much.....

To *anyone* who is confused about modes, I highly recommend Frank Gambale's DVD "Modes: No More Mystery". He breaks down and teaches modes in a way that is both easy to grasp and understand the unique tonal properties that each mode has. I teach modes to my students in the exact way he does, because I feel it is the single most efficient way to learn them.

Thanks, Ill definantly look into that when the time comes. I say "when" because Im currently Im not working on improv at all, just getting quite a few riffs together, relearning, getting my fingers back to some degree. When the time comes I do need to learn more than the BS I have.

What's the scale that sounds really evil and is in entirely 1 1/2 step intervals? You know, like D-F-Ab-B-D? Because he uses that a lot. Not only in solos, though - a lot of their rhythm riffs and tonalities are based off it.