Theory on Guitar

so say i'm trying to write a song in G minor and i want to change the key to c minor...what's the best way to make that transformation? using a secondary dominant right? like should i use a G7 chord (which would be V/iv) as the chord that leads into the key of Cmin?

so say i'm trying to write a song in G minor and i want to change the key to c minor...what's the best way to make that transformation? using a secondary dominant right? like should i use a G7 chord (which would be V/iv) as the chord that leads into the key of Cmin?

well, it's all about context so to say it's hard to say (at least without hearing or seeing the piece) if that'd be the best, but it's probably the most obvious and easiest route.

I think that would help but i'm referring to this

http://justinguitar.com/html/chords_scales_html/Scale_Major.html

1/3 of the way the site shows you the five scale positions.o_O

are you talking about the fretboard diagrams it has with the scale fingerings on them or the video labeled "the major scale part 2 (all 5 positions)"?

I'm on dialup so I'm not even going to try to check the video, but if you are referring to the picture diagrams, then that is indeed just the CAGED system. I'm not sure if you're asking what the CAGED system is, or if you just didn't know that what you were looking at is called the CAGED system.

Ohh okay, well he doesnt really explain the CAGED system. You think you can lend a hand. I was actually thinking that for every tonality (A,B,C etc) there were five scales or caged system.

okay, i get what you're asking now lol

The first thing to clear up is that the CAGED system doesn't represent different 5 scales within a key (almost sounds like you're thinking of them like modes or something), but rather just 5 different fingerings for the same scale, and those 5 fingerings can be applied to any key.

The CAGED system isn't exclusive to any particular key and its not even exclusive to scales (mostly used for people to have an easier time learning chords when starting out). Personally, I never learned it until several years after it would've actually helped me, but it is a decent system. The only beef I have with it is that when the CAGED system is taught the traditional way (in relation to open position), the scale fingerings don't match up with the chord shapes they are derived from. When it was finally shown to me, it was taught in relation to 2nd position, which (at least in my opinion) is a better and more applicable way of learning it.

For the sake of not contradicting all the other sources you'll see, I'll try to explain it using the traditional way...

Essentially, what it is is a way of seeing root notes of a scales/chords in a specific position. Each shape (C shape, A shape, G shape, etc.) in the CAGED system can be applied to any key. The shapes are derived from the C, A, G, E,and D chords as they are played in the open position. For example, lets say you want to play a D major scale using a "C" shape. An important thing to remember is to trynot to confuse the "C" shape with the key of "C". Refer back to the diagram on the site you gave me for the "C" shape. What you want is your 4th finger on the root ("D") on the A string and your 2nd finger on a "D" on the B string. Then, with your hand in that position (in this example, that would be 2nd position), fill in the rest of the notes in the scale, which is easy with that one since all the notes are in position and there aren't any finger stretches. Now, even though the diagram goes lower than that root note (I should be saying "tonic" instead of "root" since we're talking about a scale and not a chord), don't let that throw you off. Some people get confused as to why it goes lower than that tonic and how the lowest note in the shape is determined. Fortunately, there isn't some mystical cryptic reasoning behind it, you simply go to the lowest note available within the position (NOTE: some of the CAGED patterns have a few notes that are one fret outside of the 4 fret position. Those are still considered "in position" notes, but you'll never have to go more than one fret out of position when using the caged system. If you find yourself doing that, you are doing something wrong).

Anyway, that's just one way to apply the CAGED system to finding a scale fingering. The key concept of the CAGED system is being able to see roots in any key any position. On the site you posted, just learn the fingerings for the roots in each of the 5 shapes and build scale fingerings and chord shapes out of those. Then, apply those to every key and in every position up the neck. That is basically what the CAGED system is for.

It's kind of hard to do a good job of explaining the CAGED system though typing as it's more of a visual thing than anything else. I probably could have taught you the whole concept in person and leave you with a solid grasp of it in about 10 minutes. At anyrate, if my explanation wasn't very helpful, try: http://www.wholenote.com/default.asp?src=l&l=912&p=1 I found that (google ftw), and it seems like a decent tutorial and was more comprehensive than the other ones I saw, but I didn't write it and didn't read it in too much depth and I don't want to vouch for it too strongly. See if that helps ,though. If not let me know and I'll try again:)

so this isn't really a theory question, but why not just post it here...

What is the technical difference between a riff and a lick? I've always thought that a riff is something a little heavier, that can include power chords and what not. But a lick is just something that is all melody or like a solo type thing-- meaning just single notes, no chords.

Does anyone know the technical difference?

:lol: well, I operate under the same "definitions" you listed there.......but i know plenty of people who just use the terms interchangeably. They're slang terms really so I don't know that there is any set-in-stone differences...or even definitions for that matter. Though I suppose a quick trip over to urbandictionary.com can change that....

ooh ok. I was thinking that they aren't even real terms but I just wanted to know if there was a difference and what it was. But I'm glad you see it the same way I do.

Well, one definition would be something along the line of:

A riff is an integral part of a song structure (regardless of which strings it may be played on), wheras a lick usually is a simple embelishment on the allready existing song structure.

Cheers

Eske

What is the technical difference between a riff and a lick? I've always thought that a riff is something a little heavier, that can include power chords and what not. But a lick is just something that is all melody or like a solo type thing-- meaning just single notes, no chords.

That's pretty much how i figured it aswell. Although i would say a solo is something that is built up by different licks. But it's still pretty vague.

what's "tf"?

I would guess "the fuck" as in "what the fuck", i have no idea if he's serious or not though.

well, in that case...

Modes are, essentially, scales (a lot of classically-minded theorists are already scoping me with their rifles for that statement) derived from parent scales (the most common of course being Major). Each mode uses the same notes as the parent scale, but starts on a different note. The order of modes (by scale degree is:

I- Ionian (major scale)- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ii- Dorian- 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
iii-Phrygian- 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
IV-Lydian- 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
V-Mixolydian- 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
vi- Aeolian (natural minor)- 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
vii- locrian- 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

(modes with a minor quality are lowercased roman numerals, major are upper case)

So suppose we are in the ever so difficult key of C. The modes would be:

C Ionian- C D E F G A B
D Dorian- D E F G A B C
E Phrygian- E F G A B C D
F Lydian- F G A B C D E
G Mixolyian- G A B C D E F
A Aeolian- A B C D E F G
B Locrian- B C D E F G A

The thing I got caught up with when I was learning the concept of modes was how to name them. I understood the order Ionian, Dorian, etc.....but I wasn't sure what note name to put in front. For example, I thought the second (dorian) mode derived from C major would be named C dorian instead of being named D dorian when in fact the latter is correct. To sum up this last paragraph with a single sentence that takes much less time to type: when naming a mode, use the note that mode starts on rather than the note name of the key it's derived from.

A big problem with guitarists just starting their exploration of modes is that they see them as fingerings of the parent scale and nothing more. Modes are musical devices unto themselves and should be treated as such to get the most use out of them. What these people will do, for example, is take a C major chord and solo over it using C Ionian fingerings, D dorian fingerings, E phrygian fingerings, etc. When you practice and apply modes in that way, then all you are doing is playing different fingerings of C major and fooling yourselves into thinking that you're doing something more advanced when you're really just playing c major.

Modes SHOULD be practiced from the same root. For example, play over a sustained low C note. Over that note, play C lydian, C Ionian, C Mixolydian, C dorian, C aeolian, C phrygian, C locrian (you can probably figure out the logic in that order, if not ask). REALLY pay attention to how each mode sounds against the tonic and what sort of sound/mood it evokes. To take that a step further, play over a sustained C major triad. Over that, play C lydian, C major, and C mixolydian (all the modes with a major quality). Again, pay really close attention to the characteristics of each mode against the chord, which is a more specific context than the single note. Do the same with a C minor triad, using C dorian, C Aeolian, C phrygian. Then (if you want) do it with a C diminished triad using locrian. In all honesty though, the locrian mode isn't very important and does not get a lot of use in actual musical situations. Never hurts to practice anyway though.

Then you can take it even FURTHER and do the above process with Major 7th, Dominant 7th, Minor 7th, and half-diminished 7th (minor 7 b5). By the time you get to this point, you should be able to figure out which modes go with which chords. You can even get to the point of having something like a Cmaj13(#11) where the chord defines things to the point of only having one of the aforementioned choices, which of course is lydian.

Now, I only used the modes of the major scale here for two reasons: 1. it's the most common and 2. they are the only modes that have universally accepted names. You get modes from Harmonic Minor, real melodic minor, and whatever other scales you can find/make up. Frank gambale discusses modes in his instructional material a lot and has a video out called "Modes: no more mystery". May not be your cup of tea in terms of style, but it's easily the best material available on this subject.

thus ends another longwinded and potentially typo-ridden post:erk: , if i butchered my explanation let me know and I'll try again!

Damn Meedley...that was a nice long explaination...it seems to get a bit complicated with the 7th chords and onwards, but I guess it's just a matter of figuring out what mode has the right notes in it to go with that specific chord.

One question though...I haven't tried this yet, but I just thought of it so I'll ask you anyway...say you want to play a chord progression in the key of C that goes something like I-IV-V. If you use a lydian mode over this, wouldn't the notes clash when you're on the IV chord because of the raised 4th(F#) in the lydian mode. And similarly, if you play the mixolydian mode over this progression, wouldn't the notes clash on the V chord because of the flatted 7 (Bb)? Or is it the case that you would just avoid playing the raised 4th and flatted 7 in each case, respectively?

P.S. I'm very glad that there are people like you on teh internetz :p seriously dude, I appreciate all your help.