Another Theory Question: This time SOLO's

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I am writing a song in the key of C# minor but I want the solo to match the darkness of the song.
What scale would you guys use to solo on top of a c# minor song? Is it always a C# minor scale or can it be another scale?
Sorry real new to learning theory and new to reading notes as well. Tried to do it by ear but just not happening.

PS If someone has a link to explaining/understanding what solo's work on what key please post or pm me! Would like to know for any key not just c#

you don't get any darker than a minor key. You could experiment around with C# harmonic minor, but no other relative minor modes get as "dark" sounding as the Aeolian (minor) mode.

you don't get any darker than a minor key. You could experiment around with C# harmonic minor, but no other relative minor modes get as "dark" sounding as the Aeolian (minor) mode.

...Unless you play around with modes other than the relative that is.
With you having limited theory knowledge I won't go into great detail but there are several kinds of minor scales.

Aeolian (natural minor)
Dorian
Phrygian
Harmonic minor
melodic minor
pentatonic minor

to name the most common ones.
without hearing your backing track it is impossible to recommend the correct scale choice, however.

I am a music teacher of 14 years or more and I hold a grade 8 with merit in rock/jazz theory from RGT London.
I say this as I have considered starting a theory thread here with a list of lessons on guitar theory with the chance to have questions answered.
Would that be of interest to many here? Is it worth the amount of time it would take in other words?

There are so many issues with learning theory, especially modes.
I remember I was given a book of scales to learn when I was a teenager. It said it had every scale a guitarist NEEDS to know. Well there were hundreds of patterns to learn in this book with as many pages and it put me off for long time.
I have since come up with my own method for learning modes which is a combination of fretboard knowledge and using theory in real time, a little bit of work but the result is the ability to play almost any mode at the drop of a hat without having to memorize a million different patterns in 3000 different keys lol.

If enough people express interest I will try to get some info down in the next few days. The issue is it does require theory knowledge to work so I would start almost right at the beginning so it would take many mini lessons to get through it all.

Cheers.

1st vote right here!! :wave:

...Unless you play around with modes other than the relative that is.
With you having limited theory knowledge I won't go into great detail but there are several kinds of minor scales.

Aeolian (natural minor)
Dorian
Phrygian
Harmonic minor
melodic minor
pentatonic minor

to name the most common ones.
without hearing your backing track it is impossible to recommend the correct scale choice, however.

I am a music teacher of 14 years or more and I hold a grade 8 with merit in rock/jazz theory from RGT London.
I say this as I have considered starting a theory thread here with a list of lessons on guitar theory with the chance to have questions answered.
Would that be of interest to many here? Is it worth the amount of time it would take in other words?

There are so many issues with learning theory, especially modes.
I remember I was given a book of scales to learn when I was a teenager. It said it had every scale a guitarist NEEDS to know. Well there were hundreds of patterns to learn in this book with as many pages and it put me off for long time.
I have since come up with my own method for learning modes which is a combination of fretboard knowledge and using theory in real time, a little bit of work but the result is the ability to play almost any mode at the drop of a hat without having to memorize a million different patterns in 3000 different keys lol.

If enough people express interest I will try to get some info down in the next few days. The issue is it does require theory knowledge to work so I would start almost right at the beginning so it would take many mini lessons to get through it all.

Cheers.

minor doesnt sound dark... it was used to express sadness. if used properly the whole tone scale is the scale ever. also try the superlocrian

why has noone mentioned locrian? okay its got a b5 but just use it sparingly

I didn't mention locrian because I was talking about minor scales specifically and did not want to confuse the OP who said he had little theory knowledge.
The locrian is a half diminished scale/mode not a minor scale per say.

ok to the OP ignore my posts as there not noob like :D
NS why would you suggest the whole tone?
1 2 3 #4 #5 b7

I see nothing there apart from the root and the b7 and natural 9 (i suppose) that resemble minor, maybe for an outside sound but if anything that's gonna sound way more approachable on major/dominant shizz, dont you think?

you could use C diminished (not C#) if you want to venture into real dark sounding solos (you could resolve your lick on C# minor's notes)
Also, as far as mode goes, it doesn't get much darker than locrian, wich also interestingly sounds close to the diminished scale, because they both have the b5 in them.

Also, as far as mode goes, it doesn't get much darker than locrian, wich also interestingly sounds close to the diminished scale, because they both have the b5 in them.

It sounds close because it is a half diminished scale, the only difference being and extra flat.
Half Dim: 1 2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7
Dim: 1 2 b3 4 b5 b6 bb7

This really is not that common a scale choice unless you are playing jazz or neo classical stuff like who ate all the donuts boy.

whole tone is great, it almost never works if you use it all the time, but just throwing in some scattered whole tone passages, or maybe augmented arpeggios often works

other than that i have no idea,
of course you can also play stuff thats included in the notes of the normal minor scale, like minor pentatonic, or also arpeggios
limiting the choice of notes can be quite inspiring sometimes
but it really depends on the backing track, how much room it leaves

Are you planning to play over just C#minor chord repeatedly or will there be another chord changes in the tonality C#minor? Those chords will effect the color and attitude of the solo.

He said it's in the Key of C#m so we all suppose it's not just the chord C#m right?

The theory thread could be great, we have a few theory experts and a big tutorial type thread could be great and could hold some healthy discussion, I would love to read it

I think what NSGUITAR is getting at about whole tone scales is that it can add a lot of weirdness to a solo.
Hungarian minor is a dark sounding one too. I like all the middle-eastern sounding scales that Marty Friedman uses, really exotic sounding.