I have no where to do vocals

-J-

May 7, 2007
and it's pissing me off. there's always someone at my house, or kids sleeping. Last night I had a dream I went to a studio and paid $1,000 just to use it for vocals on a tune. :devil:

wake up the kids with scream in a midlle of the night.... that will make you happy....hehe believe me....hehe

I'm in the exact same situation. 6 month year old daughter, fiancee and a roommate. On top of that I get real sensitive about the neighbors as well. I live in an apartment building and I'd hate to piss of the neighbors with screaming and shit.

i used to have that restriction... living in an apt, with my girl in school and neighbors all around. so i would choose a weekday, when most people would be at work or school, and i'd call-in sick so i could stay home and track vox all day. worked well, i never had any complaints from neighbors or nothing. but then again, its hard to go all out vocally in that situation anyways... i know i subconsciously still held back a little. its tough to really do a good performance when youre not comfortable.

lucky for me, going forward i have a friend who built a small studio in their garage so i'm looking forward to finally getting back to tracking vox for real. cant wait to get my tracks from demo to finished lil by lil...

glad to see I'm not the only one in the boat. even in a house, if you have close neighbors you can't help but wonder if they can hear you yelling your head off outside. makes for a tougher performance with that on the brain.

just go to a studio for the vocals.

- better quality equipment
- better room
- a trained and experienced engineer
- tea/coffee/water whenever you need it
- you can concentrate on the performance and not have to worry about running the DAW

a fucking bargain IMHO

- you can concentrate on the performance and not have to worry about running the DAW

+1

I've found this to be a huge consideration! its really tough to get "into it" when youre having to go back and forth, run the program and do all the engineering tweaks. its such a huge distraction... i think that alone would be worth going somewhere to do it. of course, that depends on the price. and thats not always an option :(

+1

I've found this to be a huge consideration! its really tough to get "into it" when youre having to go back and forth, run the program and do all the engineering tweaks. its such a huge distraction... i think that alone would be worth going somewhere to do it. of course, that depends on the price. and thats not always an option :(

+2

FUCKING HATE that shit running back and forth. It's bad recording solos tooo.

If you are not claustrophobic and like DIY stuff, do your own isolation walls. You need a bit of time and:

- Clear a free corner in the house
- 2 pieces of atleast 2" thick rockwool panels
- 2 blanket sheets, same size as the rockwool or a bit larger if possible. Choose your colour or pattern of choise
- 2-3 hinges
- Stapler gun
- Some 1x4 lumber
- Nails and screws
- Hammer, screwdriver, scissors, breathing mask

Put the mask on and lay one sheet of rockwool on the floor or a table, put the sheet on it and cut to size (remember to reduce the thickness of the panel from both sides of the rockwool. For example if the sheet is 100cm wide and the rockwool is 100cm wide and 2" thick, reduce 4" of width). if it is smaller than the rockwool panel and then put the rockwool inside the blanket sheet (I suggest you tear open the bottom end completely if it already isn't, so it is easier to fit in there). Alternatively you can use bedsheets. Then make an outside frame from the lumber and make a backwall from the lumber as well. Then put the rockwool inside the frame and nail it down using a small piece of wood as "the button" preventing the nail from just tearing apart. Then do the other one the same way and then combine them with hinges. Put in the corner of your house and start recording.

On the topic of everyone's jokes about recording in the wilderness, is it necessarily a bad thing to record outside? (laptop and battery powered preamp, for example) Wind noise notwithstanding of course...

Hahahahaha, something tells me the hotel staff wouldn't appreciate their guests checking out in a terrified frenzy, whispering in hushed voices about the room possessed by demons :lol:

Sounds like the dude who engineers our stuff. He works out of his house, so he'll put his kids to bed at night, and then I come over and yell for about 3 hours in the room right next to the kids' room. I'm pretty sure those kids are scared of us now.

If you try recording outside there will probably be a lot of ambient noises.

I leave in an apartment, too, but I built my self a simple Iso-booth and haven't had any trouble recording vocals since.

Pros:
-cocals are only heard inside the room
-the sound is dead so you can add whatever reverb you want
-it insulates the other way around too so you can talk in the "control room" and also not worry about ambient noises
Cons:
-it can get really hot inside and really quick
-limited air for the vocal

What I did was to built a thick bottom frame which I used as the foundations for the few pieces of wood I used as vertical frame. I then cut the wallboard to size and screwed it to the frame. Next I added another piece of wallboard on top and I also made a double floor with some pieces of particle board I had at my disposal. Finally, I added rockwool to the inside walls of the booth and stapled fabric on top of it.