I just mutilated my hand!

Fuck fuck fuck fuck. Warning: gore ahead.

I was operating a saw at work, and the block of wood I was cutting got stuck on the spinning blade. It richocheted and struck my hand, which immediately bounced to the blade. The teeth of the blade grabbed the corner of my glove, and I immediately jumped up cursing out loud. I thought it was just the flying block of wood that had hit my hand causing some minor pain, since it didn't feel like much. When another dude I was working with asked me if I was allright, I checked my left hand and what I saw was a completely torn working glove, a shitload of blood and a ripped up middle finger. That's when it actually started hurting. The saw had bit quite a nice chunk of my finger off, taking the tip of the finger apart. It was in four separate pieces, but fortunately the blade hadn't hit the nail and the parts we're still somewhat attached. My ring finger's tip was also spliced, but not that badly. I ran inside the place we're building and got someone from the staff tie the fingers up to prevent bleeding, quickly lighted a cigarette and asked for a mate to get me to the hospital. It took about two hours, but they got the fingers patched up pretty well, and both of the fingers should be okay in a couple of weeks. I had luck, though, since if the blade had hit two millimeters more towards the nail, they would've had to cut the finger off from the third joint.

Conclusion: fingers + saw = at least a couple of weeks of not playing the guitar, typing at normal speed, driving the car, making food, or even wanking. Even though it sucks some major ass, I'm glad I didn't completely lose my fingers. The doctor said they'll never look very pretty, but they should work just the way they're supposed to after the healing.

vittu perkele fuck, thats my major nightmare.....
I almost got obsessed with not hurting my fingers since that's one of the worst things I can imagine (v´besides the ears of course)...

good to hear it'll fully heal though

one of the guys in Meshuggah injured his hand too, doing carpentry, I think it was around the time Nothing came out

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the doctor said I was amazingly lucky I didn't lose 'em. Made me think if it's a good move to do this kind of stuff for living (even though it's just a temporary job), since playing is such a big part of my life. But then again, this was the first time something like this happened to me and I've got to pay my rent somehow. And it was kinda my own stupidity, powertools should never be used with gloves on.

The funny thing is, I didn't feel much anything when the blade cut me, and I didn't panic when I saw the results of the metal-flesh -collision. Somehow I acted very calmly and knew exactly what to do. I guess it's some of the natural defending mechanismes of the human body and mind, pretty cool :D

Fuck fuck fuck fuck. Warning: gore ahead.

I was operating a saw at work, and the block of wood I was cutting got stuck on the spinning blade. It richocheted and struck my hand, which immediately bounced to the blade. The teeth of the blade grabbed the corner of my glove, and I immediately jumped up cursing out loud. I thought it was just the flying block of wood that had hit my hand causing some minor pain, since it didn't feel like much. When another dude I was working with asked me if I was allright, I checked my left hand and what I saw was a completely torn working glove, a shitload of blood and a ripped up middle finger. That's when it actually started hurting. The saw had bit quite a nice chunk of my finger off, taking the tip of the finger apart. It was in four separate pieces, but fortunately the blade hadn't hit the nail and the parts we're still somewhat attached. My ring finger's tip was also spliced, but not that badly. I ran inside the place we're building and got someone from the staff tie the fingers up to prevent bleeding, quickly lighted a cigarette and asked for a mate to get me to the hospital. It took about two hours, but they got the fingers patched up pretty well, and both of the fingers should be okay in a couple of weeks. I had luck, though, since if the blade had hit two millimeters more towards the nail, they would've had to cut the finger off from the third joint.

Conclusion: fingers + saw = at least a couple of weeks of not playing the guitar, typing at normal speed, driving the car, making food, or even wanking. Even though it sucks some major ass, I'm glad I didn't completely lose my fingers. The doctor said they'll never look very pretty, but they should work just the way they're supposed to after the healing.

That sounds awful man. At least they saved your fingers dude! When i was 2, i was sitting outside on the grass at our old house while my brother mowed the lawn with the electric lawnmower. He left it on and went inside for a second, and i put my little finger of my left hand in it and lost half of that finger. I cant play certain chords or really use that finger on the guitar but it still grips properly with the rest of my hand.
Watch yourself next time dude!

dude, fark that, I bet you screamed like a girl :cry: :lol:

:headbang:you've still got the best fingers for rocking with:headbang:

...\m/(-_-)\M/...

Heh, no, actually. The adrenaline kicked in immediately, so I didn't even feel the pain at first. Most people I know who have experienced such things have told me they didn't feel a thing either. I just said 'fuck' a couple of times and got the wound tied up. The pain started properly when my fingers were already tied, so it didn't hurt half as much as it would've if the're weren't any ties. The human body is a fucked up complex :lol:

But things didn't go quite as they were supposed to. Last night, when I was asleep, the middle finger ripped open. The doctors had screwed up the gluing and parts hadn't attached properly. I went back to show the finger this morning, and got eight fucking stitches on one fucking finger and five more fucking days off work. Fuck. The ring finger seemed ok and should heal no problem, but the middle finger has some dead flesh on it already and no-one's sure how it'll turn out. They said it looked pretty good after sewing it together, and the feeling receptors should heal at least almost perfectly, but I'm not convinced before I find myself playing the guitar with all my goddamn precious fingers again.

I'm pissed off as hell, and even though the doctors were pretty positive that it'll be allright and I'm probably just overly pessimistic, it's gonna be hell to wait ten days 'till they open up the package and remove the stitches.

BTW, thanks for the cheers, dudes, you guys rock :)

Dude, I feel for you. Hand injuries suck. I work for Chrysler, building minvans. I fit the front passenger door. 2 weeks ago I got my first finger on my left hand caught in a closing door & nearly lost the fingertip. It was a big bloody mess, that's for sure.

Two weeks later, I'm almost completely healed.. so hang in there, it'll get better.

Best wishes on your speedy recovery. That, & instead of wanking, get your girlfriend to do double-duty.

:)

My cousin had a fireworks powder capsule explode in his hand while trying to save his little brother from taking the blast in the face.

Open wound, bones at sight and lost his finger tips. A bloody mess really... wrapped his hand in a plastic bag and went to emergency room at the nearest hospital.

today he has half his fingers tips (they grew back) but has no nails. A fully functional hand just looks kind weird in the tips.

I wish you the best and the purpose of my story is that time will heal almost everything and if your lucky you can have a "normal" hand in the future.

take care

Thanks guys! I don't really care if the fingers are gonna look like miniature elephant's cocks if they just work fine :) If the stitches won't tear open tonight, they'll probably be fine and the finger can heal properly. If not, I'm gonna get some proper fucking treatment instead of the public healthcare shit that seems to mutilate more than fix :D

Come to the UK for brilliant health care

We've got a 3 for 1 offer.

Come in with 1 cut, leave with 3 deadly infections!