I know we already have a thread on the tsunami disaster but...

I was thinking (uh oh):

If a tsunami had hit America or any "wealthy" country or continent, would all of these same countries provide the amount of aid that they are providing for these third world countries.

And now we have talk of the US being "stingy" by providing $350 million dollars of aid. uhhhhwtfomg

J. said:
I was thinking (uh oh):

If a tsunami had hit America or any "wealthy" country or continent, would all of these same countries provide the amount of aid that they are providing for these third world countries.

And now we have talk of the US being "stingy" by providing $350 million dollars of aid. uhhhhwtfomg

exactly my thoughts. just because australia donated close to a billion dollars, many people are assuming we and the rest of the world should do the same.

Not certain, but I think those countries need the money better than a wealthy one would. Wealthy ones would definately get some kind of help though.

While that may be true, it's pretty much all relative. For example, most of the houses destroyed don't cost in hundreds of thousands of dollars like they would in wealthy countries, and they don't have the number of cars that wealthy countries would have to replace. I think the majority of the money is going towards medical care and vaccinations which any country would need.

And you most certainly can't put a price on human life.

J. said:
I think the majority of the money is going towards medical care and vaccinations which any country would need.
That's right, most of the money will be used towards medical attention and disease control. Think about it - there are 5 million people displaced right now, and those regions were ALREADY filled with cholera, typhoid, malaria, etc and a disaster like this only makes it worse. Small children will die the quickest obviously since their natural immunity system wouldn't be as strong.

If 5 million people lost their homes in the US, or any other "1st world country", there would be an immediate domestic response to control the situation, followed by international support. SE Asia doesn't have that same capability to handle a catastrophe. They didn't even have enough communication links to be warned of the tsunami.

Would people respond / donate money if a disaster occured in the US? Sure - look at 9/11. Mass donations and then the largest military coalition in history to go get Osama.

Btw, I think Australia donating $800m is REMARKABLE. They have a population of 20m people, and a significantly smaller economy than, say, the UK, Germany, and of course the USA.

As a comparison, the war in Iraq is going to cost $60bn for the USA alone. Yes, that's right, 60 BILLION dollars. *puts pinky to mouth*

4 more years. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
Btw, I think Australia donating $800m is REMARKABLE. They have a population of 20m people, and a significantly smaller economy than, say, the UK, Germany, and of course the USA.
Actualy last numbers was $1billion over 5 years to rebuild infrastructure, but that's actualy on top of the $800m already donated for the immediate support effort.