I Met Bill Cosby!!!!

now me being slightly dim from time to time thought you typed Bing Crosby - which is quite a different, and somewhat impossible, matter....

...weird thing is i didnt even flinch.

Little Bill Cosby?

front_lb.gif

Burn with Little Bill! :yell:

I studied music theory, aural skills (solfege, intervals, etc.), instrumental methods (learning how to teach basic instruments in each family), music history, historical analyisis (diagraming fugues,species counterpoint, schenkerian analyisis-fun stuff :p), a little composition and arranging;conducting, piano, and some basic core classes (sociology, math,etc.). I also studied clarinet (my major instrument) and classical guitar; and did recitals on both. I did a lot of other performing too, such as concert band, orchestra, pit orchestra for the musicals, chorus, chamber winds,jazz band, clarinet ensemble, flute ensemble, and opera workshop (we performed scenes from some Mozart operas and Johnson's The Four Note Opera). I took a few voice lessons, too.

Man, I just LOVE theory and counterpoint. In your classes, did you ever study Ferrucio Busoni? Of all 20th century composers, his vision was the most unique and expressive. The whole idea of free tonality is fascinating, and if you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and listen to his seven elegies for orchestra and his Fantasia Contrappuntistica. His musical feud with Hans Pfitzner is also very worth looking into, as Pfitzner was his polar opposite. In fact, I would say that the whole Busoni vs. Pfitzner musical friction is the 20th century mirror of the Bruckner vs. Brahms conflict.

No, I haven't been exposed to Busoni. I should check him out. The bulk of the theory I studied started with Palestrina and Fux's "Gradus Ad Parnassum" ;and ended in the Impressionistic period. I learned a little 20th century theory (tone rows, sets,etc.), but that was toward the end of the last theory class I took.