I Need A New Amp

Jeffy

Radioactive Sea Cucumber
Jun 7, 2004
Colorado
Hey, I'm gonna have quite a bit of money for an amp this summer and I was wondering what would be a good metal amp for me to get, right now all I have is a little Marshall MG-50 combo. It's a good amp, but I'm starting to do some gigs and stuff and it's definately not enough. I was thinking in the half-stack area. I have an ESP ltd. M-50, and I'm just looking for a good metal sound like Arch Enemy, Dimmu Borgir, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, etc.

actually get the 5150 II

more EQ options.

in flames use 5150's exclusively for as long as they have been together. Arnold (IF's sounds engineer last tour) told me that directly.

from IF's site

Jesper - Equipment list: Exclusively Gibson Voodoo.Peavey 5150 II

Bjorn - Equipment list: A bunch of Gibson Guitars, A Bunch of ESP Guitars, a couple of Peavey 5150 heads & speakers, Pod (the early shit, actually sounds great)

Thanks for the help, can you guys tell me the difference between the leading metal amps, like what's unique about randall warheads, marshall jcms, marshall mode fours, peavey 5150, etc.

Peavey XXX are also very nice amps.

I think it depends weather you want to use the amp's distortion or not really. If you want to, then you will have to get one of the amps the guys mentioned. But this comes at a price obviously.

I have a Marshall Valvestate 50 watt head, and 4x12 cab. The distortion setting on it isnt good at all for metal. So i use a pedal the get the tone i need. So I just let the amp handle the volume, and the pedal the effects.
It isnt as good as a great amp distortion. But i still like it, and is cheaper.

I suggest you plug your main guitar into as many amps as you can and find which one you like the best.

Ex-I have had a Marshall, a Mesa, and a Peavy amp over time. None gave me the sound I heard in my head..untill one day I plugged in to a VHT Ultralead.

I am now saving the money I need to buy that monster!

If you have "a lot" of money I don't think you will go wrong with one of the better Mesas. Bang for the buck is a Peavey XXX though. Many people scoff at Crate amps, but I saw a local band and the guitarist had one of those "Blue Voodoo" Crate amps and it absolutely ripped as well. He even got a great clean sound out of it though he was a little heavy on his chorus effect.
He let me jam on his rig at the end of the night and though I couldn't play his Jackson as well as I would have liked, the amp was really top notch.

Bryant