I need cheap drum pieces

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
Well not really me, but a mate of mine is looking for cheap hi-hat cymbals and maybe some tom heads...do any of the drummers on here know where he would be able to get the cheapest hi-hat cymbals and tom heads?

We are both from the UK so they have to come from the UK, and the budget is low, so the cheapest possible will do for now.

Any help would be cool dudes :headbang:

Mostly all cheap cymbals are fucking horrible, but Paiste PST5s, meinl MCS, Sabian B8 would probably be useable, they're B8, which isn't the shittiest material possible - only the second shittiest. Avoid PST3 at all costs, and all other cymbals that look the same. You'll only want to crack them after you'll hear how they sound. B8 alloy is easily recognizable, it has this reddish colour to it compared to brass (avoid brass at all costs when looking for cymbals).

Also, I'd say look for used. Even with relatively cheap cymbals, you get better sounding ones for the price of horrible ones when you buy used... Same goes for heads.

For example, you could look for some Meinl Classics cymbals, and some stock heads that have come with people's new drumkits when they've bought them new and changed the heads right away, or slightly used them...

Mostly all cheap cymbals are fucking horrible, but Paiste PST5s, meinl MCS, Sabian B8 would probably be useable, they're B8, which isn't the shittiest material possible - only the second shittiest. Avoid PST3 at all costs, and all other cymbals that look the same. You'll only want to crack them after you'll hear how they sound. B8 alloy is easily recognizable, it has this reddish colour to it compared to brass (avoid brass at all costs when looking for cymbals).

Also, I'd say look for used. Even with relatively cheap cymbals, you get better sounding ones for the price of horrible ones when you buy used... Same goes for heads.

For example, you could look for some Meinl Classics cymbals, and some stock heads that have come with people's new drumkits when they've bought them new and changed the heads right away, or slightly used them...

Those ones look ok, but my mate is only 13... I think they are out of his budget, we aren't looking for good cymbals, just something to replace the ones he's got that are cracked and dented.

If budget is tight then i'd go for Stagg cymbals personally. Head some low end Stagg's (even recorded them!) and they're better than Sabian B8's by a long way.

If budget is tight then i'd go for Stagg cymbals personally. Head some low end Stagg's (even recorded them!) and they're better than Sabian B8's by a long way.

Not sure how things are around there, but nowadays Staggs cost as much as quality cymbals, which is bullshit. I was going to buy a whole bunch of Myras but then I noticed that the ride cost more or as much as a 2002, AAX, Avedis ones.

Someone explained the price bump to me saying Stagg has improved their quality control, which was almost non-existent before, keeping their prices down. Stagg should fucking know their place. They had a rep of selling great cymbals for cheap if you were able to go choose your own, but now they just have a questionable rep selling cymbals for the same prices as the big ones.

So instead of Stagg, I'm going for Paiste 2002s. There's just no point in Stagg anymore.

No!

As I said - LOOK FOR USED. Even at that pricerange, you may find a decent used kit. New ones at that price aren't worth of anyone's time, unless you want to kill your interest towards playing drums.

I'm telling you, if you want to pick up an instrument as fine as drums, PLEASE don't start it that way :lol: it's NOT fun with shitty drums like that.

No!

As I said - LOOK FOR USED. Even at that pricerange, you may find a decent used kit. New ones at that price aren't worth of anyone's time, unless you want to kill your interest towards playing drums.

I'm telling you, if you want to pick up an instrument as fine as drums, PLEASE don't start it that way :lol: it's NOT fun with shitty drums like that.
+1000, man.

My brother started out at 10 with this - for lack of a better word - baby kit (like, literally a third the size of a real drum), and he was never happy with it, not even as a beginner. Then once he got is more expensive kit a couple of years later (dunno what the brand was) it was a whole world of difference and he never shut up on the drums since that day :lol:
Anyways, like other people have said, check out some used kits, because even though you won't have the satisfaction of owning a brand new kit, you'll have a much better sounding instrument that will please you alot longer.

And if you decide you don't like drums, you can always sell em.