I need help. Noob wants to solder a side chain super cable.

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
Right now I have to create an extra bus in cubase and send everything to it to use the sidechain on my ssl comp clone. PITA! It's a simple mono jack. I found this on my research: http://www.akzent-audio.de/shopware.php/Hersteller/S-Z/Smart-Research/Smart-Research-Sidechain-High-Pass-Filter-Kabel

Those have a hpf at 150hz (-6db/octave). I would need another adapter (2x xlr female > mono jack) to hook it up. First thing is I can't find such a y-cable. So I thought it would be much cheaper to build that whole thing by myself. I'm good at soldering but have no further knowledge of electronics.
I want to build that exakt same cable but with a mono jack for the sidechain. I tried to make a small sketch but failed miserably. That's why I need your help (...because I fail... ;))

Is it possible at all? Will everything that I need for a hpf fit into a 1/4 mono jack!? I know some of you guys can do that stuff! If I can somehow return the favor, let me know.

That's what I do right now. But it's not very comfortable because I have to send everything that's going to the 2nd bus to another bus via send. This bus has a hpf and an external effect on it, which will send everything to my comps sidechain. The only way that seems to work for me right now (Cubase 5),

This doesn't seem to be as easy as I hoped, so I tried to make a small sketch with paint:

sslsidechainkabel.png

anyone?

because you have to feed the sidechain with both channels. Left and right. the signal would be much quieter and the guitar on the right side wouldn't touch the sidechain at all (for example)

because you have to feed the sidechain with both channels. Left and right. the signal would be much quieter and the guitar on the right side wouldn't touch the sidechain at all (for example)

Yes, but couldn't you just lower your threshold to compensate?

If you want to make a cable for it, I would suggest getting your hands on a 1/4" speaker jack. Some have a big enough housing to accommodate the two cables you are going to solder in. Splice the "hot" wires from both cables together and then you need to take the shielding off of the "cold" wires. These will be spliced in with the ground. So both "hot" wires will have one contact and both grounds and colds will have one contact collectively. Then just solder the hot to the tip pin and the ground to the sleeve pin.

I'm using the sidechain cable from smart research.
Price was alright and it's absolutely pain free and works like a charm.
Though I gotta say I stopped using the sidechian altogether fir the last 4-5 productions... Liking it leaner atm

Yeah, but the c2 has a stereo sidechain, my ssl clone has a mono sidechain :) I was looking into the smart research sidechain cable and it's awesome, I just can't hook it up the way it is! :)

this will create a short-cut between the main-L/R-signal which feeds the compressor. thats the problem... ;)

hahaha, yes, I suppose it would huh. o_O

So what keeps the cables you are talking about from shorting as well? I can;t think of how it would be possible to have them terminating to a single connector without this happening.