I need help with thesw tones

stairbirditis

New Metal Member
Oct 27, 2009
Quick Summary - We aren't very good at getting tones when recording just yet. If you can give me any tips whatsoever on how to improve the tones or the mix of this project ( any of them, guitar, bass or drums ) I will be very grateful. Any advice almost any of you can give would likely lead to a vast improvement, so please, give me some advice, and thank you in advance for your time and help. My buddy and I will really appreciate it a lot. Link is below.

Long Explanation
I'll be the first to admit, I have no idea about how to get good tones out of the equipment I am recording with just yet. I don't get much time to practice with it because most of it belongs to my guitar player and his family and I rarely go to his place ( college/work get in the way haha ).

Below will be a clip my guitar player and I recorded a while back that we did just to get an idea of how our song would sound. Now that it's almost done and we have it down tighter, we want to work on getting as decent of a recording as we can with the equipment we have. We don't expect $200,000 studio quality, or even $1,000 dollar studio quality, we just want something that will sound good enough to where the quality doesn't take away from the music.

Quick list of the equipment we will be using

Schecter 8 string
Ibanez SR506
Line 6 Toneport UX2
Pod Farm ( I think version 3 )
Sonar 8
Superior Drummer 2.0
Gallien Krueger 700 RB II head ( didn't use it in the recording posted )

All tones are from us plugging straight into the UX2.

Again, thank you for any help or comments you give. Have a wonderful day.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2746528/Brooming my tuna.wav

:)

You have just obtained the "$1000" studio quality in this clip! :heh:
Have you ever tried this soughta shit before? Its like your first drawing, at the time you think it was cool, but looking back, you think, what the fuck was I thinking about!
Im trying to categorize what style it is ....... as this would help in giving out tips. So going in blindly, Im gonna suggest ....
1. Develop an ear for guitar tones from your favourite CDs that are around the same genre as yours. (if you want to travel down that road).
2. Learn your songs, so that you could play them accurately in your sleep.
3. SHIT IN = SHIT OUT! (Get it right at the source, see No1!)
4. Have fun and experiment! Only way to learn. Accept that some days its just not gonna happen and others it is.
5. Keep visiting here and read, read, read! All the tips you crave for are mostly in the rate my mix/production threads.
6. Most importantly, develop G.A.S, acquire shitloads of great gear, and then realize that tone and rhythm are all in the fingers and hands and feet! :heh:

Some here can create great stuff with the gear you possess. Time and effort are the keys. If you cant get a great tone to save your life at the moment, dont expect miracles to happen quickly, take baby steps and build your confidence. There will be some who will chime in and aid you in the walking process, take that shit on board and try it out, not word for word, but ballpark figures. Stay original and remember to keep the writing side of the brain ticking over, as great tunes far outweigh good production! Just my 2 cents! :p

Thanks man. We will definitely keep experimenting.

The style we are going for is kind of a progressive metal/melodic death metal thing, but minus the death metal ( we love it but wanted to do something different this time ). I hope that helps for any future tips.

I'm glad our equipment isn't going to be a problem. Just by knowing others can get good recordings out of it is now giving me more confidence in the possibilities of shaping better tones and getting an overall better sound. I've already got a ton of ideas now.

And no. 6 = HAHA. I've heard that so many times and I know it's pretty true. I've recording decent sounding songs with similar equipment, I'm just not used to being the one at the front setting up tones and running things. I'm looking at it as a fun challenge though.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it, and I'll keep reading this sub-forum.

:)

the rhythm guitars sound centered. dual or quad tracking the guitars and panning makes worlds of a difference tonally.