I need MORE help

Deadly

-________-
Jul 16, 2004
Ghent - Belgium
okay...
i seem to have a problem with what is called a 'cable modem'. Mine looks like this one:
motorola_sb4200.gif
Problem: the first 3 lights (power, receive, send) are green, which is correct. The next 2 are out (online, activity). The standby-light is on (orange)... in other words... i ain't got no internet. And the cable modem is not on normal stand-by (as all the lights should be out then except for the stand-by-one).

I have pulled the plug... multiple times, I have pressed the stand-by-button, which doesn't respond,... and i don't know if there's anything i CAN do.

anyone who knows something about cable modems who can help? or should i take my chances and let some guy come over to fix something i might have caused myself and pay a fine? :cry:
i want my interwebz :cry:

I'm going to answer this old thread because I'm bored here at work and have nothing else better to do.

1st of all did you have someone come over and install it? If so then he should of put the right configuration settings on the modem and have put the right information in the TCP/IP settings. IT sounds like your modem is running fine, you might have some addresses that might need to be corrected. What I would do is call your ISP and have them give you your IP and DNS information. Make sure it matches the setting that are on your TCP/IP (If it is set to automatic, try inputing what the tech mentioned to you)

Also if your modem is running (which it is), go into the modems settings and options. You can do this by entering

192.168.0.1 (this is a typical address, some routers very, it could be 192.168.2.1 for SMC routers, but try the basic 192.168.0.1

This will allow you to go into the modem's settings and check/change things. Only change things if you know what you are doing.

Call the tech, have him run it step by step and if that won't solve it they will have someone either replace the router or fix it for you (shouldn't be that much of a fee anyway).

Hope this helps, even though you probably had it fixed a LONG time ago lulz

even though you probably had it fixed a LONG time ago lulz
yes it's fixed, but thanks anyway :p
it changed back after a while :s i don't know what happened to cause the problem, nor do i know what occurred to resolve it.

a new problem i have however...:)lol:) is that my laptop's adapter is making a strange sound. it won't reload mah computer anymore, which is completely dead now, and i'm on a different one for quite some time.
i should go back to the shop and have it fixed, 'cause european law states you have 2 years of warranty on electronic devices. :Smug:

yes it's fixed, but thanks anyway :p
it changed back after a while :s i don't know what happened to cause the problem, nor do i know what occurred to resolve it.

a new problem i have however...:)lol:) is that my laptop's adapter is making a strange sound. it won't reload mah computer anymore, which is completely dead now, and i'm on a different one for quite some time.
i should go back to the shop and have it fixed, 'cause european law states you have 2 years of warranty on electronic devices. :Smug:

Sounds like you just need a new adapter. What kind of laptop is it?