I need some buyers logic. Ax II or Ax Ultra + mic selection upgrade

Shaun Werle

Dec 30, 2009
Brodheadsville PA
Hello guys it's been while since I've posted anything on here. First off, I would like to apologize for placing this thread in the wrong section, I just couldn't find the correct place to get the best answers for what I am about to ask.

Okay so I've been planning to purchase an ax fx ll for the past couple of months. With much consideration to what i could be buying otherwise.

I've been reading up on ax fx ultra vs ax fx ll comparisons and a lot of these people are saying the ultra is really similar in sound as far as the guitar/cab sims and bass sims sound as on the ax ll. I'm intending on just using the unit to achieve brighter more alive guitar tones/bass tones. For mostly studio use

If I get the ax ll I'm limited to just getting that one unit.
But..... If I go with the ultra than have 1400$ more dollars to spare.
With this I would like to upgrade my mic collection, get some ksm137 or ksm141. As well as two md421s for the toms.

Basically a better guitar tone is essential, but at the same time I'm trying to get as natural as possible for my drums and other applications. By natural I mean, no samples from other people. I'm not trying to cut corners. I'm trying to take my productions and quality to that next level.

Just want to hear from you guys what you all have to say based on opinion, what you like, preference, good mics for drums that you feel are essential, buying advice, This is a 3k investment and I just want to utilize my money as efficiently as I can. Thank you guys. I'd love to hear your thoughts