I need some 'low end' mix tips (hope this is the right place to ask)

Jan 2, 2012
I wrote this today, and tried mixing it. I'm not super satisfied... It's not awful but I feel as though the low end isn't tight enough, or something...

Maybe some one with more experience can tell me what they can hear needs to change (bass fx chain, kick fx chain, guitar) I mean whatever you hear that should change would be a huge help!

HERE'S THE CLIP: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39591640/New Riff.mp3

I'd say the low end sounds plenty tight to me. I'd like to hear more of it. The guitars are too buzzy, the kick has too much click, the toms have no body, and I can't hear the bass. Pretty much everything needs more lows lol. I think whatever you are mixing on is bottom heavy, causing you to toss the low end of every track under the carpet.

Yep, from what I can hear the low-end is very in-control, in that there isn't a whole lot of it. You could easily turn the bass up/eq the bass lo's up, and try a lo-end enhancer on the toms.

No kidding? It's got to be my monitors, they aren't at the sweet spot, they hit me in the chest, that must be the problem!

I guess I adjust some more

I think the low end that is there is good, but probably to low. I can hear lots of bass when I listen in my headphones, but in my monitors I can't hear a lot of it. Try to EQ the stuff differently so the low end is represented more in around 85 hz or so instead of 40-60 or wherever most of the energy is here. Then the low end is audible in normal speakers and I think that could be great in this case.

I think you'll get better control of it just by doing that, just my 2 cents.

Edit: Oh is there bass on this track? As in the instrument bass not as in the frequency range. I can barely hear any of the bass, so I'd try turning that up aswell