i need your input and advice

im 19 and would like to do this as a career

i hope i get some hits on this and get some advice i have alot of questions

my setup right now is a Presonus Firestudio with a Presonus Eureka Preamp running into Nuendo2

my first question would be regarding my mix of the last band i recorded

www.myspace.com/grind916

on my soundcloud play listen to "bring fear to them" or go to

www.myspace.com/xbringfeartothemx

i know the snare is hot and the kick and toms need to be fixed in the mix but i need pointers on guitar and vocals

i recorded the vocals with a rode nt2a through the eureka, guitars with an audixI5 and sm57, the i5 was pointed at the cone and 57 on the edge pointed at the cone... the i5 was preamped with the eureka... the amps were a crate tube amp on the left channel and a spider2 on the right

the bass was DI into the eureka

the snare was miced on top through the eureka... idk the original snare was a shitty aluminum snare and i had the drummer use a pearl maple piccolo but it made no difference at you can hear... drumagog sounded too unreal no matter how much i faded the original mix in and unfortunately i didnt have enough inputs to mic the bottom

i need your advice guys! i just got waves mercury and plan on buying a digimax lt and plan on upgrading to a fireface or something... am i headed in the right direction here?

guitars sound pretty good from what i can tell. the snare is really ringy, you may try gating it or using a transient designer if you want to minimalize that. overall i think it sounds quite decent, the only thing i can't hear too much is the bass guitar, you should bring that up more. you may want to read up on parallel compression, and try it out on the drums or possibly the entire mix when you start to master it. this is a good article talking about it. hope this helps

http://www.hometracked.com/2007/03/31/parallel-compression-for-fatter-drum-tones/

you're awesome, i really appreciate it man. when recording guitar and limited to only one preamp like my situation with my eureka, should i use it on the center or outside of the speaker? im a budget recording service at the moment so i dont have time to just to a/b comparison... but i guess there would be no reason asking that because i will have tried it my then...

is there a specific plugin or plugin bundle that you would recommend to so all this? im still new to all of this but i get what you are talking about

thanks again man

we all have our moments:)

what i would try also is whats called the "new york compression" trick, where instead of just compressing the drums using parallel compression, you add the bass guitar in as well. then mix that effect into your mix and your bass and kick drum will work together better and have a lot more punch.