I think Charlie has competition??

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
But in a small regard you are right Mentalmeltdown. It is all within the genre too. Malmsteen cannot "play" blues. He can probably make a sound or tone similar, but he doesnt have that "part" it is not his style.

I guess that's what I was trying to say ... but, have to have the last word here hehehe... my main point is that, physically, let's call it "technical" stuff to describe all those guitar nerds (Paul Gilberts', Malmsteens and Shawn Lanes of the world), takes a lot more practice and is physically harder to execute, more demanding sort of music... but that whole genre of playing needs dosing and players like Jeff Loomis or Marty Friedman have awesome techniques and yet use it in just the right doses and play melodically without going off in a thousand scales and filling every fucking measure with notes.

Malmsteen is what Malmsteen does... he's a wild rock star ego maniac show off who plays some mean guitar solos. I think he's rather coherent in his whole career approach: "I know I'm an ass and I know how to play guitar so listen to me or get the fuck out."

here's another post without insults! :headbang:

mentalmeltdown said:
I guess that's what I was trying to say ... but, have to have the last word here hehehe... my main point is that, physically, let's call it "technical" stuff to describe all those guitar nerds (Paul Gilberts', Malmsteens and Shawn Lanes of the world), takes a lot more practice and is physically harder to execute, more demanding sort of music... but that whole genre of playing needs dosing and players like Jeff Loomis or Marty Friedman have awesome techniques and yet use it in just the right doses and play melodically without going off in a thousand scales and filling every fucking measure with notes.

Malmsteen is what Malmsteen does... he's a wild rock star ego maniac show off who plays some mean guitar solos. I think he's rather coherent in his whole career approach: "I know I'm an ass and I know how to play guitar so listen to me or get the fuck out."

here's another post without insults! :headbang:

You know, that does sound like Malmsteen!!

mentalmeltdown said:
:headbang:

I heard once he got pissed off an an airplane because the waitress didnt know who he was, or something to that effect. I have quite a few guitar world mags throwing some mud at him. All in all saying although he is an ass, and wears really faggy clothes, he is a brilliant guitarist. Back to drums for a second, I still think Pete Sandoval, Jeremy Armstrong (Origin) and the drummer for Niles are the BEST in extreme metal. Charlie could walk all over Lars, any day, at any given moment in their careers.