I think I've lost my mind...

Jeff, I really don't think the difference is noticable between the .110 wide SS and the .118 wide 6000 wire. As long as the height is there, the width is not as important. In fact, I think a narrower crown feels even slipperier and makes more room in the upper registers. Just something to think about.

Also, I prefer and highly recommend Jescar fretwire, and .110 x .057 is their largest size of any composition....just something else to think about. :)

From what I found quickly searching just now, the normal 6100 is .110 x .055, and the normal 6000 is .118 x .58. The largest SS fret is .110 x .57, so it's like a taller 6100.

Didn't realize that, though - going to now have to weigh the option of true 6000's vs the playability of SS frets!

Yeah, that makes sense now.
I've seen those specs before, but never had actually seen SS 6000s ANYWHERE on the internet :lol:
The height is really what makes most of the difference anyway, not the width and really that 0.01 inch difference in height between the 6000 and the SS 6100 frets are going to be so be so minimal that it's better to just go with the the SS frets since they'll be smoother and will have a slower rate of wear.

No 85 in the bridge Jeff, I thought you'd prefer these there?
Also why not the 89 in the neck? 81/89 would sound more reasonable to me
I somehow always thought that the 85 sounds better in the neck, have yet to try it out in the bridge though.
Damn I want a custom guitar too...

Yeah, definitely still going with the SS frets - the size difference is negligible, and I bet that .001 of height would be worn off nickel frets in a year or so anyways. :lol:

I have no idea what the hell stinnets are but congrats! Could you post pics of your other stinnet?

You've been living under a rock, man!

http://www.stinnettguitars.com/jeff.htm

No 85 in the bridge Jeff, I thought you'd prefer these there?
Also why not the 89 in the neck? 81/89 would sound more reasonable to me
I somehow always thought that the 85 sounds better in the neck, have yet to try it out in the bridge though.
Damn I want a custom guitar too...

Nah, hate the 85 in the bridge - too muddy and mucky, especially in the low mids. Hate it in the neck for the same reason - I need an arguably cleaner pickup in the neck than in the bridge, because it's already muddier by default.

With the flat top/thinner maple cap/ebony fretboard instead of the 11/16" maple cap and maple fretboard, I have a feeling it'll be a thicker sounding guitar, which the 81 should lend itself well too. If not, I can always stick an 89 in there.

The splitting on the bridge pickup isn't very important to me on this one - not compared to having a 3-way toggle instead of a 5-way blade, at least!

This gonna be a D standard guitar or drop C? Can't remember now what tunings your current guitars are in.

Nah, hate the 85 in the bridge - too muddy and mucky, especially in the low mids. Hate it in the neck for the same reason - I need an arguably cleaner pickup in the neck than in the bridge, because it's already muddier by default.

With the flat top/thinner maple cap/ebony fretboard instead of the 11/16" maple cap and maple fretboard, I have a feeling it'll be a thicker sounding guitar, which the 81 should lend itself well too. If not, I can always stick an 89 in there.

The splitting on the bridge pickup isn't very important to me on this one - not compared to having a 3-way toggle instead of a 5-way blade, at least!

Just took a look at your stinnet guitar in the link, saw that you allready have the 81tw/89 combo in there, so it makes sense not to use the same in the new one :D
Upgraded one of my gtrs with the 81tw/89 some time ago...I like the 85 in the neck more than the 81, but I always end up using neck split or both split for cleab rather than the 85 in the neck anyway.
As far as I understood, the new one will be more forward sounding, and the first one is more versatile, right?
Great anyway I guess haha

My current one actually has the 89 in the bridge - the 89 is tighter than the 85 and that guitar is pretty bright/snappy, so it works out well.

But yeah, the new one will be more direct and forward, more metal/shred.

I'm in E standard/drop D, man! Real men tune to E. I just find my guitars to sound/respond way better in E, and I end up writing more interesting riffs.

Nice.
I love E standard and drop D. Even though I'm a 7 string player, I'll often be playing the 6 string portion of the guitar tuning the E string to D.
Opeth and Sylosis prove you can bring the goods without tuning down.
Was that Youniversal song you wrote in drop D?

Nice.
I love E standard and drop D. Even though I'm a 7 string player, I'll often be playing the 6 string portion of the guitar tuning the E string to D.
Opeth and Sylosis prove you can bring the goods without tuning down.
Was that Youniversal song you wrote in drop D?

I wrote the first half/chorus bit in B when I played 7 strings like 3 years ago, and finished the song in D standard, but I now play it in E and I think it sounds super tight and focused in comparison. God knows when I'll have time to finish that + a few other songs and get a 'metal' ep of sorts out; the pop punk band has been taking up 90% of my time, musically!