i think we have entered a new era of spectacular outer space-related deaths

goatschool

Sep 12, 2002
www.youtube.com
MOJAVE DESERT, California (CNN) -- SpaceShipOne successfully blasted into space at about Mach 3, or three times the speed of sound, on Wednesday in its quest to win the Ansari X Prize.

It touched down for a smooth landing about 11:35 a.m. ET, completing a successful flight despite some nail-biting moments.

The spacecraft encountered problems shortly after the rocket ignited during its vertical ascent. It unexpectedly began a series of more than 20 barrel rolls.

It was not clear why the craft lost maneuvering control. As SpaceShipOne turned groundward, however, pilot Mike Melvill appeared to steady the craft.

"The trajectory was good, the roll was off," said Dick Rutan, a test pilot and brother of Burt Rutan, the SpaceShipOne designer. "I was worried. That wasn't the way it was supposed to be."

An unofficial altitude for SpaceShipOne of 358,000 feet -- well in excess of 62.9 miles (100 km) -- was recorded by radar at the site.

This marks the first of two successful flights the team needs to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize.

SpaceShipOne lifted off from a runway in the Mojave Desert in California, at 10:12 a.m. ET Wednesday.

The revolutionary spacecraft, the first privately financed vehicle to send humans into space, made its first of two qualifying flights in order to claim the prize.

The plane White Knight carried SpaceShipOne, attached beneath it, to about 50,000 feet where the spacecraft detached and rocketed into space.

To win the contest, privately financed spacecraft must launch three people, or their weight equivalent, to space twice within two weeks.

SpaceShipOne carried only the pilot, Melvill, on Wednesday's flight.

The second flight, which must reach an altitude of 100 kilometers, is scheduled for October 4.

Burt Rutan of Scaled Composites designed and tested the rocket during a June 21 suborbital flight.

Despite control system malfunctions, the flight was a success and made Melvill, 63, the first person to earn his astronaut wings aboard a private spacecraft.

Melvill told reporters he had "a hell of a view from 62 miles."

"The colors were pretty staggering from up there," he said. "It's an awesome thing to see. You can see the curvature of the Earth."

The aerodynamics of SpaceShipOne were slightly modified and the power of its engine was increased for this flight.

Rutan said the first spaceflight had brought the world closer to realizing his long-held dream of easy access to space.

"Our hope is that this will be a benchmark ... for a lot more people to not only have fun but to reap the benefits that we believe might be there," said Rutan.

SpaceShipOne is competing with more than two dozen other teams for the X Prize founded by space entrepreneur Peter Diamandis. The only one to challenge SpaceShipOne to the finish line, the da Vinci project of Canada, recently canceled its October 2 flight for a lack of crucial components. The team said its balloon-launched spacecraft would still make an attempt.

The Ansari X Prize -- modeled on aviation awards at the beginning of the 20th century -- is designed to spur the private sector into building a space tourism industry.

Market studies suggest there may be a multibillion demand for such flights to the edge of space and, eventually, into orbit around the Earth. At least one entrepreneur is plunging headfirst into the businesses.

Virgin Atlantic Airways founder Richard Branson announced on Monday that he would invest $25 million in a new space venture, to be called Virgin Galactic. The project will license Scaled Composite's SpaceShipOne technology for commercial suborbital flights starting at about $200,000. He expects it could fly 3,000 people within five years.

"The development will also allow every country in the world to have their own astronauts rather than the privileged few," he said.

Today's flight will take off from a remote airstrip in the Mojave Desert. It is the only civilian test flight center and just one of a handful of spaceports.

-----------------------

- bolding highlights crucial girders in the foundation of the thread title

- green emphasizes ??? moments

this one sounds like it was at avi's neighbor's house:

Occurred : 9/8/2004 03:14 (Entered as : 09/08/1904 03:14)
Reported: 9/8/2004 4:24:03 AM 04:24
Posted: 9/9/2004
Shape: Changing
Duration:Three to Four Minutes
I was watching a video when I heard a noise outside. The windows were open because it's been very warm here in the Bay Area. The neighbor's dog was loose (as usual), but it sounded like someone might have tossed a plastic cup on the street, so I went out with my flashlight. Seeing the dog loose, I figured things were OK. As I turned to come back into the house, something in the sky caught my eye to the east. Being an amateur astronomer, it's quite common for me to give the sky a glance, even under such circumstances.

What I saw amazed me. Just below the waning Moon yet above the constellation Gemini was a large burnt orange "planet" in the sky. The reason I say "planet" instead of "star" is because it looked like a larger version of what Mars looks like when it was at its closest approach to Earth last summer (or the summer before, I forget at the moment, I'm nervous). It was moving like a satellite, but it was too huge to be the space station. I have seen it before. It was heading towards the northeast. The constellation Auriga was high above it. I watched it for at least a minute. It was moving so slowly, I decided to go in and grab a pair of binoculars. The first pair I found was an old trusty 7x35 Tasco (114 m/1000 m-341 ft/1000 yrds). I rushed back outside, took my glasses off, and zeroed in on it. What I saw astounded me. Not only was this object not circular, it had amazing detail to it. The bottom of it shone with a bright oval glow, just like it was a propulsion of some kind. It reminded me of the Gulf Breeze photos of that Polaroid UFO. Above the smaller, oval "bottom" to it was a larger body above it, attached to it. It looked like three orange beams with at least two dark columns between the glowing parts. Above the "columns" was a dome of some sort, and it all seems to be one piece moving together.

It seemed to be turning, like a tumbling satellite, but I could actually see parts of the craft seeming to twist, giving itself new shapes as it went along. As it continued, the bottom shone brighter and dimmer, and so did the rest of the "craft." It took on a long string-like shape with three prominent oval orange lights, top, middle, and bottom after a while, and when it did that, orange sparks began shooting from the bottom of the "oval" glowing part. I've never seen anything like it. It made no noise, and I'm led to believe it was a dying satellite of some sort, but I've never seen such detail in a satellite, let alone with such a small pair of binoculars. I watched it for at least three minutes. I have a digital camera, but it's hard to even catch the Moon in it, and this object was not as bright in magnitude as the Moon.

Venus was rising when I went back out to take a look at the direction it traveled. It was much larger in size than Venus, although not as bright. To the unaided eye, the object's magnitude was pretty much evenly distributed over its area. Saturn was above and right of Venus, and you could have used 7 Saturns just cover this object with the unaided eye, easily. Did anyone else see this???