I upgraded my USB capture device to a Mackie. Is there any point to my tube mic pre?

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
I upgraded my M-Audio USB fast track to a Mackie blackjack with Onyx pres. What benefit (if any) will I have using the studio projects tube pre in front of it?

I hardly ever use the tube option on my pre (I have it set to solid state). So why have it in the chain? I no longer need it for phantom power.

I don't have great cables (planet waves) so I presume I should keep it simple to try and preserve my signal. If I can fault my recordings, the first thing is they always sounded a little blankety. So I am trying to avoid that in the future.

The obvious answer is hook it up and listen.

You can answer every question on this board with that answer. I could have the mic in a poor position, a bad room etc that would sway me...

I want to know what the general pro consensus is when you mic up a cab.

Are tube pres almost always used before it gets to the recording device?

Guitar --- OD (optional pedals)----amp ----- cab --- SM57 ---- tube pre ---- recording device pre.

Is that what usually goes down? Is blending in a little bit of the tube pre something that most pro recording studios do?

Honestly not a whole lot... If that thing runs off a wall wart; the tube is not really doing anything.
Easy guitarist (I am one) trap to fall into." Oh it's got tubes in it! it MUST be better " All my favourite high end pre's I've ever used have been solid state; I.e Neve, Great River, API, Chandler etc etc etc. and unless you can line straight in bypassing your built in pres, it's kinda pointless

You can answer every question on this board with that answer. I could have the mic in a poor position, a bad room etc that would sway me...

I want to know what the general pro consensus is when you mic up a cab.

Actually the general pro consensus is "hook it up and listen".

Are tube pres almost always used before it gets to the recording device?

No.