ADAT pre

xMannequiNx

Mar 29, 2009
I'm gonna be buying an 8ch pre soon to add on to my setup, but I keep getting frazzled whenever I try to decide.

I definitely want 8ch, ADAT out and word clock sync so I narrowed it down to two different things:

1 - Presonus Digimax FS

or

2 - Mackie Onyx 800r

My main concern is the quality - should I spend the extra money on the mackie, or buy the presonus and maybe save that money I would spend on a different tube pre or something.

I've seen Machinated's studio and he uses the mackie and I LOVE his results - can you still get as good of tone with the cheaper pres?

I'm not locked in on these - if you have something else that would be good please let me know.

I just bought an M-Audio Octane for use with my new Fireface 800. I'll let you know when I get it. HONESTLY, I don't think you're going to hear much of a difference in the sub $2000 price range. I picked the M-Audio Octane over the Digimax FS and I'm a Presonus fan.

Next on the list is 2 Audient ASP008's. It ain't easy to drop four grand on 16 channels ($250 a channel).

how would the digimax pres compare to the fireface? I really like the sound of the fireface pres

Not honestly sure. The Digimax FS pres are the presonus xmax pres. Same ones in the firepod, firestudio and studiolive. They're good, but not great. The Digimax FS is pretty much the expansion pre for the firestudio 2626. Check gearslutz, they do a lot of shootouts similar to that.

ok ill probably go with something besides the digimax

I had a firestudio project and I didn't think the pres were all that great.

Are there any other recommended pres out there? I was hoping for something with line inputs as well since I will be using triggers, but also sounding good for micing guitar and drums

I also saw the digimax LT, that might be a good one too.