I want to take my keyboard learning further. Need advice on Courses/Tuition

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Well, I have had my keyboard for almosty a year now, and am slowly but surely beccoming better and better. I pretty much know all the chords and shit like that and am starting to compose my own songs etc.

I would like to take it further though, and actually get lessons, or do a music course.

What do the musicians among you guys recommend I do? Keep in mind I know nothing about music theory/sheet music or anything like that. I pretty much taught myself how to play. I didn’t even buy a book, I just worked out all of the chords and things like that.

Now, I don’t know whether to go and get lessons by a tutor, or enroll in a music class at TAFE or something similar. I need to start learning scales and more advanced things. Does in anyone in the Sydney area know any good courses or tutors? I would preferebaly like something in the Parramatta/Castle Hill area (Lord Tim, you are from Seven Hills arnt ya? You know of anything out this way?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Or should I just buy a book to start with before enrolling in a course/tutor?

Anyone know any good Keyboard/Piano books, or just a good publisher for music books?

I should add that I am not particulaly looking to play Metal. Some of the songs I like to play include songs from

Aerosmith, The Doors, Rainbow, Delta Goodrem, Dire Straits, Elton John, Queen, The Beatles, Whitesnake, Christina Aguilera, Creedence, Evanesence, Cold Chisel, etc

The Online Conservatory has so much great stuff in it, and I dont even play keyboards and I reckon its fantastic.

It costs US$50 to join, which is a once off payment. You never have to renew your membership. There is more stuff being added all the time.

Yeah, I know of the OC, but I really want to get some hands on teaching. I think having someone there to watch and that I can ask questions to will be way more beneficial.

I am sure Jordans thing is cool, but I think for me, being not quite a begginer, nowhere near pro, I would benefit alot out of having some actual human relation.

Spruce Goose said:
I would preferebaly like something in the Parramatta/Castle Hill area (Lord Tim, you are from Seven Hills arnt ya? You know of anything out this way?)
Nah, I moved to the upmarket, bustling metropolis that is Ingleburn about 6 months ago. It's OK except for all of the yuppies and millionaires and stuff. :err:

I got my hand up to say I got nuthin'! Sorry, man! :(