I need Heavy metal advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEV_tux

New Metal Member
Aug 22, 2009
Hi! i listen to alot of music but not much heavy metal, i am recently getting into the heavy metal area and want to know alittle bit about the good and bad, i have a few questions if anyone has time

1. These are my favorite bands that i think are metal: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nevermore, are these bands concidered "real metal" among metal fans or poser metal

2. I also like these bands but i dont know if they quite classify as heavy metal, its just really distorted: Joe Satriani (my Fav guitarist), Mastadon, Rage against the machine, Slipknot (to an extent)

3. Some guy on youtube told me the best heavy metal bands are linkin park and my chemical romance.... i listened to these to bands and it sounded really icky and whiney... are these actually what is concidered good in the metal world?

4. Any recommendations on good stuff i should check out? one guy recommended cannibal corpse too me

5. What is the best guitar and amp too buy for metal music? i currently have 2 strats and a les paul and a stagg and a couple of marshal amps.
Money is not an issue for me on what too buy, i recently inherited a turnkey operation (i know it might piss you off i get money for nothing but if anyone wants some money just ask lol)

thanks guys

1. All of those bands have released good stuff.
2. Mastadon and Slipknot are metal, though not good metal.
3. That guy was an idiot
4 Just look around on the forum to find good bands.

Mastodon isn't terrible. I'm not into their style that much but some of their instrumentation is pretty good. Start with some heavy/epic/thrash before extreme stuff so like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Candlemass, etc.

Use your les paul over the starts for now. I would personally just stick with that but go ahead and get an ibanez if you just wanna play metal. On amps, marshalls are good, peaveys are good, mesas are good, etc.

Early Metallica, Iron Maiden and Nevermore are generally well accepted here, so I wouldn't worry. Slipknot and Rage Against the Machine suck IMO, but Mastodon's Remission and Joe satriani are generally cool. Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance are nowhere near metal, and certainly not good anything. Cannibal Corpse are good, at least their first four albums. I recommend checking some of them out if you want to get into death metal (if you haven't already), but they're far from the best (ironic seeing as my username is cannibal corpse). I recommend going to the <> metal threads and asking for a list of the all time best <> metal bands, I'm sure you'll get a list of great bands to check out. Regarding metal gear, I'm not really sure, but I play a Jackson and it works pretty well for that kind of stuff. I heard Ibanezes are great.

why don't you not be gay and just listen to what you like? Why do you need to know if it's considered "poser" or not? And why would you listen to one idiot on youtube? That's a cesspool of dumb comments, you'll find at least one negative post for every band you search there.

In order --- What you should do if your new.

1. Don't listen to head bangers ball ever.

2. Read the threads on GMD directory.

3. Ask the moderators for advice.

4. Oldschool > Newschool

5. Scenecore metal mostly sucks (Alot mostly deathcore and some metalcore, however its not all bad - Listen to the right bands for good quality)

If he's actually willing to put some time into this...

I recommend that you listen to some genres of metal (death, black, stoner, doom, thrash, whatever) find a style that you enjoy, then search the band recommendations forum for stuff in those styles.

I don't find the deathcore threads in GMD very useful though, someone has to make a new one. Most of the listed bands sound very bland, generic, and unimpressive.

5. What is the best guitar and amp too buy for metal music? i currently have 2 strats and a les paul and a stagg and a couple of marshal amps.
Money is not an issue for me on what too buy, i recently inherited a turnkey operation (i know it might piss you off i get money for nothing but if anyone wants some money just ask lol)

thanks guys

795300842_d7ff016bd7.jpg

I want some money

Mastodon and Slipknot are metal although Slipknot aren't good Metal...But Mastodon are awesome.

Listen to Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way comes and In Flames - Colony for a good intro to Metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.