Need some advice: What band should I buy next?

Aug 18, 2006
S. Illinois
OK, first of all, I'm a fairly recent CD/MP3 convert (from cassettes), so my CD collection is rather small compared to what I had collected on cassettes for nearly 18 years. I've rebought several of my old band catalogs that I used to have like: METALLICA, MEGADETH, TESTAMENT, IRON MAIDEN, OVERKILL, and BRUCE DICKINSON.

But I've found some new bands that I like since I thought the metal scene died in the '90s. One of the first of those is ICED EARTH. Really liked the power metal riffs that IE brought. But that was 3 years ago already (discovered them upon the release of Glorious Burden).

More recently, I've discovered the vast array of bands out of Europe that I didn't even know existed until just a few months ago. Some of these that I have already purchased are PAGAN'S MIND, PRIMAL FEAR, DRAGONFORCE, DARK TRANQUILLITY, BRAINSTORM, and although not from Europe, TRIVIUM.

OK, now that that's established, let me go back a little bit into what kind of music I was into back in the '90s. I got into most of the bands in the Florida death metal scene like OBITUARY, DEICIDE, CANNIBAL CORPSE, MORBID ANGEL, etc. But I found that the death metal growls, grunts, and screams just didn't do it for me. Although I really liked Obituary because they were a little bit more melodic than the rest. I also got into the goth/industrial stuff from that era as well, with bands like TYPE O NEGATIVE and FEAR FACTORY. Basically a lot of the Roadrunner Records line-up.

Of course, back in the '80s I was into all the typical thrash bands of the time like: SLAYER, EXODUS, TEATAMENT, OVERKILL, METALLICA, MEGADETH, ANTHRAX, IRON MAIDEN, METAL CHURCH, etc.

But now I'm into a more of the classic European power metal sound. Clean vocals, but epic story-telling death metal stuff isn't out of the question either.

What I typically do now, now that I've gotten into CDs, is that I'll try to buy the entire catalog of a band before moving on to another. Before I ask for suggestions, I'll just say that I have the entire FREEDOM CALL catalog on order, and presumably in the mail, so that one's already counted out.

So here's the bands that I'm considering:

HAMMERFALL - mainly for their old school traditional metal sound. I find their playing and vocals/lyrics a bit cheesey, but they're still cool to some degree.

GRAVE DIGGER - I like the heavier guitar riffs and their apparent concept themed albums. I'm not to crazy about the style of their vocalist, but that may grow on me. Quite frankly, the guy looks a bit too old to be in a heavy metal band. o_O

FIREWIND - Haven't really heard too much from them, but with Gus G on guitar, how can you go wrong?

SYMPHORCE - I've got Andy B. Franck's other band, BRAINSTORM, so I was wondering if I'd like SYMPHORCE as well

KAMELOT - After hearing a good portion of their newest album via videos and short samples, I like Roy Khan's vocals, but I'm worried that some of their earlier stuff isn't as heavy as Black Halo is.

GAMMA RAY - With bands like PAGAN'S MIND and FREEDOM CALL, I tend to like the sci-fi elements in these certain progressive power metal bands.

STRATOVARIUS - Basically the same thing as above with GAMMA RAY.

RHAPSODY - For their fantasy-based, epic songs...and cool album covers.

BLIND GUARDIAN - Again for their fantasy-based stuff. Plus that they're a bit more heavy sounding than say RHAPSODY.

Now for some curve balls...

BOLT THROWER - Yeah, I said I don't really care for death metal these days, but I like their themed albums. And the Warhammer 40K references are cool.

AMON AMARTH - Yeah, again, the Viking metal theme from this band seems interesting. I've got a few MP3s from both AMON and BOLT, and I can tolerate their music.

DIMMU BORGIR - Big surprise here, as Black Metal is hardly my thing, but I kinda like their orchestral mixes with their stuff. And Shagrath is a one crazy M.F.'er.

A bit long-winded post, but I thought I'd give a little background on myself before asking people for suggestions...

So out of all those bands, which would you suggest for me to buy/get into next? Note that I have the entire, or near the entire catalog, of those bands listed in my sig. I'm kinda strongly leaning to one or the other of the first two listed there, HAMMERFALL or GRAVE DIGGER.

And thanks for the suggestions...

Quite frankly, the guy looks a bit too old to be in a heavy metal band.

:erk:

Go with either Bolt Thrower, Grave Digger, Kamelot, early Blind Guardian, and maybe Gamma Ray. The other bands are not worth listening to.

Oh yeah. Nevermore- This Godless Endevour is a good one to check out.

I really like the fact that you're asknig about new bands dude. Good to see the metal still flows within after all these years.
Out of the bands you posted, I would highly recommend Blind Guardian if you like Iced Earth (I love them). Also, if you like IE and buy some BG and enjoy it, you might want to check out Deamons and Wizards, a collaboration between the IE guitarist and BG singer.
I've yet to properly check out Firewind, but have heard good things.

Other bands you might enjoy are:
Dungeon (Australian band, unfortunately split in 05, but release a farewell album in 06 called The Final Chapter, one of my favs of the year. The singer continued in his project LORD, and is just as good as Dungeon)

Agent steel (US power/ thrash. Last album they released was a few years ago now, but a really good one IMO. A new album is due this year if I remember right)

Evergrey (Swedish prog/power band, with a dark twist. Their catalogue has become quite varied, but since you like to get al the albums, i guess ti doesn't matter haha)

Eyefear (up-and-coming Aussie band. They mix a good balance of prog and power with a great vocalist. A new album due this year which im greatly anticipating)

Heavenly (one for you to definately check out IMO. All but the first album are really strong, sign of the winner being my favourite. Very much a powermetal band in the Helloween vein. Just a warning that the vocals get pretty high :p)

Sonata Arctica (Finish powermetal. Very energetic, very fist pumping. Keyboard and guitar driven, fine Euro-power-metal. What more can I say?)

Symphony X (These guys have a strong following. Im not exactly sure where they're from, but to me they sound American. Heavy, but progy with synths. Epic, but not too cheesy)

Vanishing Point (This is yet another Aussie band. Have toured with Sonata Arctica, so they aren't too shy of the Euro sound, but they do it their own way. Melodic prog/ power metal, one of my favs. New album due this year)

Sorry bout the long post. I hope you get a few decent bands out of it.

If you're ever up for talking metal, or anyother recomendations, just give me a yell through PM or MSN.

Daniel

Eh, I have found rec threads like this to be okay, if they are really specific and offer some oppertunity for discussion. If you are just looking for a few names then you should go THE rec thread.

edit-@LV

I see. Those are pretty common albums and I figured you would have already heard them, but that is as far as my knowlege goes outside of the confines of black and death metal.

Oh yeah. Nevermore- This Godless Endevour is a good one to check out.

I really like the fact that you're asknig about new bands dude. Good to see the metal still flows within after all these years.
Out of the bands you posted, I would highly recommend Blind Guardian if you like Iced Earth (I love them). Also, if you like IE and buy some BG and enjoy it, you might want to check out Deamons and Wizards, a collaboration between the IE guitarist and BG singer.

Yep, familiar with the D&W side-project of IE and BG.

Other bands you might enjoy are:
Dungeon (Australian band, unfortunately split in 05, but release a farewell album in 06 called The Final Chapter, one of my favs of the year. The singer continued in his project LORD, and is just as good as Dungeon)

Yeah, DUNGEON has been on my list as well.

Evergrey (Swedish prog/power band, with a dark twist. Their catalogue has become quite varied, but since you like to get al the albums, i guess ti doesn't matter haha)

Thought about them as well...not heard any of their stuff yet.

Heavenly (one for you to definately check out IMO. All but the first album are really strong, sign of the winner being my favourite. Very much a powermetal band in the Helloween vein. Just a warning that the vocals get pretty high :p)

Yep, heard a sample or two from them and I liked it. In fact, I've got them on one of my Amazon Listamanias as one band to get.

Sonata Arctica (Finish powermetal. Very energetic, very fist pumping. Keyboard and guitar driven, fine Euro-power-metal. What more can I say?)

Same thing with Sonata...I like their "Don't Say a Word" single, but nothing else they've done really catches my attention.

AH-HAH

I finally found something for you.

Avian-From The Depths of Time.

I rec this album all the time, and never get any feedback on it. One of my all time favorite albums, and that is saying a lot considering this band is power/heavy/melodic metal. Amazing album.

AH-HAH

I finally found something for you.

Avian-From The Depths of Time.

I rec this album all the time, and never get any feedback on it. One of my all time favorite albums, and that is saying a lot considering this band is power/heavy/melodic metal. Amazing album.

Ah, I see David Ellefson is in that band. Is there any site where I can sample some of their music?

You can check myspace, but I'm not quite sure if they have one. I know of a site where you can download the album if you want to preview it, but I have the link saved on another computer and don't quite remember it (it's a russian site). I could get you the link tomorrow or something, if you really wanted it. If that's too much of a hassle, I'm sure you can find them somewhere.

You can check myspace, but I'm not quite sure if they have one. I know of a site where you can download the album if you want to preview it, but I have the link saved on another computer and don't quite remember it (it's a russian site). I could get you the link tomorrow or something, if you really wanted it. If that's too much of a hassle, I'm sure you can find them somewhere.

Yeah, I found their rather obscure Myspace site... myspace.com/avianband

As for their songs...not bad...definately something I could get into.

Yes. The first half of the album is stronget than the second half, but it kills all the way through. Gets better with more listens, too.

:kickass: