Longest new member post ever? Need death advice

Death225

New Metal Member
Apr 23, 2006
This is my first post as a new member and I'm in serious need of intelligent recommendations for good death metal/very heavy metal. If you hate long posts, click back now, otherwise read on.

I'm 31 and have been listening to metal for pretty much all my life, heavy/death metal for 16 yrs. now I guess. I moved to Sarasota, Florida in 1980 and as such was very close to all the death metal action back then in that area growing up. I've seen all the bands from that area (you should know who I'm talking about) live at the Ritz in Tampa multiple times each and have met tons of people in person. I was also good friends with a band that should have been signed, but got turned down by Morrisound, that went by the name of Burial. I guess it's pertinent to mention that I play guitar, and learned to play a ton of Burial from one of the guitarists (this dude named Tom for anyone familiar with this). During jam sessions and whatnot, it was just a coincidence, but Burial used a storage unit to practice in that was like three doors down from where Kelly Shaefer was working on Atheist stuff for Piece of Time and Unquestionable Presence and so we all pretty much "chilled" if you know what I mean. Anyway, that's a little about my background, so I guess you could say I'm kinda old schoolish.

The point of my post is that I'm just a little out of the loop you could say, as far as good new death metal goes, if there even is any. I've existed on the old school death metal that I'm about to discuss for a lot of years, I like it that much to this day. But I really need new quality stuff and can't find any! Anywhere! So here will follow a discussion about what I like so maybe folks will get a feel for my taste and be able to make decent recommendations. I'll also list bands I've somewhat checked out and didn't care for so folks know what I don't like. Now, we all know bands sound different from one release to the next, and sometimes only have one or two good tunes they do, so I'm going to be album specific too.

Stuff I totally worship, with commentary:

Deicide - The first two albums. Glenn lost me after that. The first one was better than Legion, though they were both good. Listening to the original self-titled release really loud through headphones is amazing. I know every word to every song on both of these albums, I lived and breathed both of them for a long, long time. After that it seemed Glenn's focus became speed over catchy, furious jams you could absolutely freak over.

Obituary - Slowly We Rot was before Obituary really came into their own, the production wasn't that great, so I'm not a big fan of this album, but Cause of Death is fucking godly shit. I have both the original and the remaster, and the slow guitars with the cruising double bass is fawking awesome. His voice is great, everything about every song on this album is fantastic. After that, you really can't blame them for the logical progression over their next couple albums, but they never again released anything like Cause of Death. That said, I have heard the new album. Yes, it's the closest thing they've done to CoD since, but still not the same.

Death - The first three albums were a little before my time, the first release I picked up from them was Human, and love every song on it. Matter of fact, I love every song Chuck ever wrote from Human through the final track of Symbolic. However, to this very day I am extremely upset about the Sound of Perserverance. I'm sorry, the vocals sound like a fucking chipmunk. It sounds like Chuck sang normally and they sped it up afterwards or something. I find it so distracting I cannot listen to this album, and that really makes me mad because the music is as great as everything else he had been doing up til then. Oh well, I'm very grateful for what we got, I have about 32 songs to thank him for.

Morbid Angel - The only thing I liked from them was Altars of Madness. I couldn't find anything to get into when Blessed Are the Sick came out and lost interest in them, only to later find a couple good songs on Covenant and I've since given up on them.

Fear Factory - The first album was good when it came out as it was original, but Demanufacture is another "holy shit that's fucking godly" album. I like a ton of FF stuff, though all the stuff after Obsolete and around Digimortal I wasn't much into, but they've lately made me give them a bit more hope coming out with a few truly fat songs like Slave Labor. Very nice jam there.

Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments had several good tracks and a few that weren't so great, but I love just about everything on Retribution. After this they kinda lost me, had a hard time finding something to get into with them after that.

Machine Head: Totally loved the first two albums, and the Burning Red makes me burning red with anger if someone plays it and doesn't turn it off quick enough when I tell them to take that shit out of the stereo before I break it. I'm glad to see their latest release a bit more real, but it still doesn't hold a candle to tunes like Old and Death Church off their debut.

Individual Songs and non death metal worth mentioning, with commentary:

Mudvayne - Prime example of one good tune from a band. Dig is the shit. The rest blows, though Determined is ok.

Ill Nino - Another example of a one good tune band. I thought Loco off the debut was good, every other song they've written is pure nu-metal.

Pantera - Got into them through Vulgar which intro'd me to Cowboys, most of which is good, though all of Vulgar is awesome. Far Beyond Driven was good, but I saw the end of the sound I liked on that album and wasn't surprised that I wasn't interested in what they did after that.

Coal Chamber/Korn - Each of their first albums I like and don't feel like either of them are nu-metal and are decent. Big Truck and Loco by CC are good. Now where they've gone since is a different story but these debuts were good when they came out.

DevilDriver - No need to defend this against nu-metal accusations. I like a number of songs by them, but was disappointed with the new release. I Dreamed I Died and Knee Deep are the best thing they've done yet imho.

Static X - The debut was awesome I thought, and I liked pretty much every song on it. I've not found a single song since then I like, except Cold which they did for a movie.

White Zombie/Rob Zombie - Loved the first two WZ releases and thought Hellbillty was ok, but he's written nothing but garbage since then. And even then, Hellbilly wasn't nearly as good as Astro-Creep.

Arch Enemy - I just discovered them. I really don't care for the vocals from the guy, but find the girl singer they have now to be listenable. I've pretty much ignored everything before the Wages album and have listened to every track since then. The only two songs I've found to like are My Apocolypse (super awesome song) and Slaves of Yesterday (great catchy riffs with what I consider near perfect drumming for my tastes, but the beginning/middle of the lead at the end of this song gets on my nerves a little, it's weak), with the instrumental Enter the Machine being nice, but too short, left me wanting more.

Stemm - Face the Pain is the only song I've heard by them, but jam it regularly. Fat ass tune for sure.

SYL - I like a couple songs by them... AAA, Detox, and All Hail are good, the rest just sounds too noisy and doesn't grab me like these tunes do. I don't know if it's bad production or what. I've only given their newest album a cursory listen and nothing jumped out at me as being great.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's most of what I like that's metal worth mentioning, but most all of them either aren't around anymore or their music turned to shit over the years. Here's a few general things about my taste that may help also:

I love stuff that makes you want to move. Stuff that makes you want to slowly bob your head, groovy catchy stuff.

I hate lots of 'blast beats', very fast snare. I don't mind them as long as they're not constant. For this reason I really dislike bands like Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, most Morbid Angel stuff, Carcass, that sort of thing. The only album I really like with any real amount of fast snare is Malevolent Creation's Retribution. I know Deicide does lots of blasts, but I found it fine on the first two albums and distracting after that. I don't know why I find some blast beats by some bands to be ok and some to blast beats to single handedly ruin a good song. Production? Who knows. Let's just say I prefer Obituary style drums over Cannibal Corpse style drums.

I've yet to find any black metal/scandinavian metal/melodic death metal that I like at all.

I do not care for 99% of stuff that would be considered nu-metal. That means don't tell me about: Korn/Mudvayne/Ill Nino/Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park or any of that crap, I'm already aware of the one or two good songs these bands have done. If the band has a DJ, someone scratches a record in it, or it sounds rappy, thanks, but no thanks.

I don't consider myself into progressive metal, but I loved Cynic when their debut came out and like all but a couple of the weakest tunes on their. And yes, I have the remaster with the added songs. The Circle's Gone is great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now here's a list of stuff I've checked out very lightly, with a little commentary. I've listened to at least one song by each of these bands and disliked the majority of them based on bad vocals (some of these bands play awesome music, but have shit vocals and I won't listen to it no matter how good the music is). Keep in mind, however, that I've only listened to one or two tunes from each of these unless I state otherwise, so if there's a really awesome band here I should check out in depth, PLEASE make some individual song/album suggestions so I can give them their due before putting my "that blows" label on it. If you're interested, this list comes from allofmp3.com. If you don't have/use an mp3 download service, you really should check them out. I use them and can't say enough good about them. Amazing service that puts everything else to shame!

This is the list of bands they have under death metal I've sampled and found to be.... not very good.

Abigor
Aborted
Absu
Abyss
Aeternus
Agathodaimon
Ajattara
Akercocke
Alastis
Alchemist
Amon Amarth
Amorphis
Anathema
Ancient
Ancient Ceremony
And Oceans
Antichrisis
Arise
Artrosis
At the Gates
Atreyu
Bal Sagoth
Bathory - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Behemoth
Benediction
Between The Buried And Me
Bewitched
Borknagar
Brutal Truth
Burzum
Callenish Circle
Cannibal Corpse - Old stuff I know I don't like
Carcass
Carnival in Coal
Carpathian Forest
Carpe Tenebrum
Celtic Frost - Old stuff I know I don't like
Cemetary
Centinex
Cephalic Carnage
Children Of Bodom - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Christ Agony
Control Denied
Cradle of Filth - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Crematory
Cryhavoc
Cryptopsy - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Dark Funeral
Darkane
Darkthrone
Dawn
Der Gerwelt
Destroyer 666 - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Dillinger Escape Plan - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Dimension Zero
Dimmu Borgir
Dismal Euphony
Dismember
Dissection
Downthesun
Dragonlord
Dying Fetus
Edge of sanity
Emperor
Enslaved
Enslavement of Beauty
Enthroned
Entombed - Old stuff I know I don't like
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
Evereve
Extol
Extreme Noise Terror
Fleshcrawl
Forlorn
Gehenna
God Dethroned
Godgory
Gojira
Gorefest
Gorgoroth
Gorguts - liked one song from them off their debut, that's it. - Old stuff I know I don't like
Grave - liked "...and here I die, satisified" EP when it came out, the rest sucked.
Green Carnation
Grief of Emerald
Hate Eternal
Hatebreed - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Hecate Enthroned
Hollenthon
Hypocrisy
Immortal
Impaled Nazarene
In Flames - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Iron Maiden
Kalmah
Kamelot
Kataklysm - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Katatonia
Khold
Killswitch Engage - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Kovenant
Lacrimas Profundere
Lamb of God - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Lockup
Lord Belial
Macabre
Mandragora Scream
Marduk
Mayhem
Meshuggah - I like the odd tech tune now and again, but haven't found anything from them catchy enough to make me move.
Misteltein
Moonspell
Mortician
Mundanus Imperium
My Dying Bride
Mystic Circle
Napalm Death - Old stuff I know I don't like
Nasum
Necrophagia
Nightingale
Nightrage
Nile
Nocturnus
October Tide
Old Man`s Child - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Omnium Gatherum
Opera IX
Opeth - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Otep
Paradise Lost
Penumbra
Pungent Stench
Pyogenesis
Rakoth
RAM-ZET
Raunchy
Rigor Mortis
Rotting Christ
Samael
Saturnus
Satyricon
Sentenced
Setherial
Shadows Fall - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Siebenburgen
Sigh
Sinister
Six Feet Under - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Soilwork - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. Everything I've heard from them sucks imo.
Summoning
The Agony Scene
The Duskfall
The Gathering
The Haunted - a seemingly popular band I hear mentioned a lot. They seem to have some great production, and uber talented musicians, but I think the songwriting blows after having heard all their tracks.
The Sins of Thy Beloved
Therion
Thy Serpent
Tiamat
Tristania
Twilight Ophera
Ulver
Unleashed - Old stuff I know I don't like
Vader - Old stuff I know I don't like
Venom - Old stuff I know I don't like
Vintersorg
Vital Remains
Vomitory
White Skull
Witchery
Wizard
Wolverine

:OMG:... all these bands seem to suck!

...anyone actually make it through this and have suggestions for bands to listen to more of or great songs I should hear? Thanks a ton in advance, I look forward to hangin' out here if everyone is cool.

GTFO.

Seriously.

GTFO.

Either that or listen to nearly every single one of those bands over again, minus the metalcore and Chris Barnes projects.

Oh and to be a productive poster check out Atheist and Garden of Shadows. If you don't like them, then honestly stop listening to metal.

ROFL... you're telling me to "check out" Atheist? Did you even read my fucking post? I hung out with Kelly while he wrote the shit, stfu.

I also said I had only heard one or two songs from many of the bands on this list and if there's something I should give a more serious listen to, tell me.

Death225 said:
ROFL... you're telling me to "check out" Atheist? Did you even read my fucking post? I hung out with Kelly while he wrote the shit, stfu.

I read nothing more than the list of bands.

Also, no self-respecting 31 year old would EVER type out these four letters in succession. STFU.

Not one of them.

Relisten to each band that I repost from your list:

Abigor
Aborted
Absu
Agathodaimon
Alchemist
Amorphis
Anathema
Ancient
And Oceans
Bal Sagoth
Bathory
Bewitched
Borknagar
Burzum
Carcass
Carnival in Coal
Carpathian Forest
Celtic Frost
Control Denied
Destroyer 666
Dismember
Edge of sanity
Emperor
Enslaved
Enslavement of Beauty
Gorgoroth
Gorguts
Grave
Green Carnation
Immortal
Iron Maiden
Kamelot
Katatonia
Lord Belial
Mayhem
My Dying Bride
Mystic Circle
Nightingale
Nightrage
Nocturnus
Omnium Gatherum
Opera IX
Paradise Lost
Penumbra
RAM-ZET
Rigor Mortis
Rotting Christ
Samael
Saturnus
Satyricon
Sentenced
Setherial
Siebenburgen
Sigh
Sinister
Summoning
The Sins of Thy Beloved
Therion
Thy Serpent
Tiamat
Tristania
Ulver
Unleashed
Vader
Venom
Vintersorg

Alrighty, I guess people here are dicks... everyone can fuck off and die now, I'll never be back so to anyone who hasn't replied yet, don't bother, I'll never see it. Bye.

Try to listen to Lamb Of God and to Meshuggah more attentively - they are really good imo. Maybe you just heard some albums that you thought suck, but albums of each are pretty different (Meshuggah especially - early ones and last ones are absolutely different, so maybe you will like some.).
And Morbid Angel is pretty cool too.

If none of those bands really grabbed your attention then you should probably look towards another genre. But I would try again... what in flames and opeth did you hear? if you have heard "the jester race" by in flames or "still life" from opeth I suggest you check them out. I'd check out nevermore's newest album "this godless endeavor" as well.

cliffs.gif

Death225 said:
Alrighty, I guess people here are dicks... everyone can fuck off and die now, I'll never be back so to anyone who hasn't replied yet, don't bother, I'll never see it. Bye.

Ok, nevermind. I decided that new or not, I should just tell the people that made negative comments to stop being such pussies because I said I didn't like your favorite band.

Devy_Metal said:
you think all those bands suck?

No, I said I was OUT OF THE LOOP and listed to ONE song by most of these bands, and wasn't impressed and needed recommendations of who to listen to more of.

Maybe I listened to a song that most people would think sucks. Maybe that whole album sucked but others don't. Are you telling me these bands have never written one bad song or come out with one bad release? READ YOU BASTARDS, READ!

You people need to read a damn post before you reply to it, and if you read it you need to go take a 3rd grade reading comprehension class.

Am I being a dick yet?

CAIRATH said:
This thread is awesome.

I wholeheartedly agree!!!!

To the original poster: Dude, chill, your post was rather long, as was your list of metal bands that you were not impressed with, know what I mean? You were bound to offend at least some of the regulars here. Really no way around it. Will respond later w/more constructive comments.

Mike.