Is Death condidered Death Metal???

Is Death "Death Metal"???

• Total voters

ShredHeadJHJ

oh noes itz a opinionn
Oct 15, 2007
Orlando, Florida
A simple yes or no answer will do good for the poll, but I really want to hear some sort of discussion on this topic. I've heard that they weren't death metal & some of the arguments made from this side were valid, however I have trouble not calling them death metal at the same time.

Discuss.

I think they are. they maybe werent the heaviest. but they are definately death metal.

Death did transcend genres considering the last few releases were Progressive rather than Death

What I meant by "trancending genres" is that everything they do could actually be labeled as a specific genre. They're not one of those bands that's just so crazy & so out of this world you can put a label on them. Besides, I wouldn't say Chuck's later work was much more "Progressive" than his earlier work.

I had a reason behind my questioning. This is a forum full of metalheads, & I've heard a small handfull of arguments from metalheads stating that Death are not death metal but more along the lines of Thrash. I agree to a point & I know people feel more strongly about it than I do. I've heard a lot of arguments. Go to MA or Anus to see what I'm talking about.

That argument you make about Death being more of the lines of Thrash can be made about some of Slayers work being more of the lines of Death Metal; however, being on the line does not make Slayer Death Metal and Death Thrash Metal it makes the song perhaps have abit of blast beat and Death adding abit more of technical melodys to their music but that's about it.(IMHO)

The early albums are undeniably death metal. The later ones are progressive thrash/ heavy metal, Like Atheist, for instance. I never really understood why Atheist are considered death metal.