Longest new member post ever? Need death advice

You can't really judge a band on one song. Most of the time, in my experience, when I listen to judge a band or to see how good they are, I don't like them much at all. I hated Suicide Messiah with a passion the first few times I heard it, yet now Black Label Society is one of my favorite bands. You need to just burn a few to a CD-RW at a time and listen to them while doing something else. Playing video games, surfing the web, driving, whatever. A few will catch your ear and you will say "Wow, this is pretty good!" That's what works best for me. And one or two songs is never a good indication of hoe good a band is. You said that you didn't really like Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, etc., but that you have heard a lot of good things about them. So what makes you think that our opinions are going to be any better than the Crowd's? Listen to bands on your own accord, not based on anyone else's opinions.
Regarding your nu-metal commentary: A) Arch Enemy does not deserve to be put in with those schmucks. Now, the organization of your post required it, but still, they don't deserve that. SYL don't deserve that either, and neither do Pantera. Yet, like I said, you didn't have much choice based on how your post was organized B) Nu-metal is crap. One of the few nu-metal bands I like are Orgy. Not heavy at all, yet do some really cool stuff. I recommend Candyass. But you may not like it, judging from your opinions of the related artists.

However bad the original post may or may not be, it was better than most of the replies (not surprising with people like Thraxz around, I suppose).

DM Top 10:
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Atrocity - Longing for Death
The Chasm - Conjuration of a Spectral Empire
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Demilich - Nespithe
Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd
Golem - Eternity: The Weeping Horizons
Gorguts - Obscura
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence

Honourable mentions:
God Macabre, Incantation, Infester, Darkthrone, Amorphis, Molested, The Spell..., With Fear...

Death225 said:
No, I said I was OUT OF THE LOOP and listed to ONE song by most of these bands, and wasn't impressed and needed recommendations of who to listen to more of.

A thinking person would listen to more than one song for the reason you list below...

Maybe I listened to a song that most people would think sucks. Maybe that whole album sucked but others don't. Are you telling me these bands have never written one bad song or come out with one bad release? READ YOU BASTARDS, READ!

Well I read, and it isn't helping your case. Are you telling me that by coincidence you happened to listen to a bad song by over 150 different bands?

Am I being a dick yet?

Yes.

ender7227 said:
You can't really judge a band on one song. Most of the time, in my experience, when I listen to judge a band or to see how good they are, I don't like them much at all.

I agree completely, and that's a long list of bands. It took me a long time just to get through a couple songs of each of them and I'm tired of shooting in the dark. And some of the bands like Meshuggah have quite a number of albums out.

ender7227 said:
Regarding your nu-metal commentary: A) Arch Enemy does not deserve to be put in with those schmucks.

I don't think they are nu at all, I believe the only bands I mentioned being nu were "Korn/Mudvayne/Ill Nino/Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park".

Oh, and all I've heard that I liked from Orgy was "Stiches", which I put on now and again to this day. Haven't heard much else from them.

Oh, and I say bah to Slipknot too.

^Excellent post!
Stitches is some of the best stuff Orgy has put out. If you like that then you will probably like alto of others. I recommend Blue Monday and Dissension. I can't really move deep into Orgy because I get stuck on these three songs :lol:
I understand that you weren't calling them nu, but you grouped them into a category next to nu bands, like putting the Da Vinci Code next to the Bible. They are so mutually exclusive they need to stay away from each other IMO
Slipknot were good when I was first getting into metal. They have a few good songs but are ridiculously overrated

So this guy likes approximately 10 albums, and then some assorted songs, and then the 200 other bands he's heard all suck.

If this is a troll attempt, he gets a 10/10 from me. This is so out there. I mean, he claimed to hang out with Kelly Schaefer. More troubling, he used the adjective "fat" to refer to songs. Twice.

Wow, we're really kicking up the "I'm a fucking asshole because I post at UMGMD" today, eh? Didn't even give him a god damn chance...

@the orig poster: Well I can tell You what I like to listen to, but that's all I can do... Firstly, from the list of bands you like, you've mentioned SYL, I konw just the latest record, alien, and I love "love" song... The same reasons as You mentioned - it's not so noisy etc.

From the bands You've listed, I like some, and to make it easier, I can tell why do I like them...

Amon Amarth - I like the melodies, its headbanging style and power of these songs. I like only one album anyway, and that is "Versus The World", try it, especially songs like "Where Silent Gods Stand Guard" or "Pursit Of Vikings" from "Fate Of Norns" album, but I don't like any other songs on that one...

Carpathian Forest - I admit it's simple music and a bit "punkish", but I don't give a fuck. Just love to listen to them. Songs I like most are "Bloodlust And Perversion", "Carpathian Forest", "Sadomasochistic" etc.

Cryptopsy - "Once Was Not" is great one. Haven't any others, but I love this one. It's so fast and technical, but definately not easy-listening. Don't know if this is your style, from what You've said

Enslaved - One of my favorites blackmetal bands. It's melodies, heavy and light passages, just nice listening. I like "RUUN". Don't know "ISA", but it should be great aswell...

Kataklysm - I actually don't like "In The Arms Of Devastation", but I love "Serenity In Fire", try it. It's great. All songs on that album are fucking great.

Satyricon - Well, this is my personal anomalia, I just like songs like "Mother North" or "Filthgrinder", or the newer ones like "K.I.N.G." or "Fuel For Hatred". But I don't recommend it to you, it's just strange music... Some kind of synthetic/castle/modern something...

Vader - Well, if you don't like them, I won't write reasons why I do... I'll just point out some newer songs You should try out... "Wings", "When Darkness Calls", "Choices"...