Longest growl/scream ever?

Its for sure not the longest of any kind, but its 20+ secs of an epic intro scream. Well, the whole song is fucking epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dunno, but my favorite scream, at least in black metal...goes to abbath at about the 4:00 mark on, "a perfect vision of the rising northland".

Not the longest scream ever, but certainly one worth noting simply because of the state of the metal scene at the time it was unleashed is Chuck's demonic shriek at the beginning of Baptized in Blood.

Ok definitly not the longest but definitly one of my favorites is "this one's for you" by of mice and men. The vocalist screams for 15 seconds which doesnt seem long but it is awesome. The longest scream recorded is supposed to be by manowar and the song is called black wind, fire, and steel and he screams for 34seconds but its more of a yell cuz its that old classic metal. Still pretty awesome though.

from what i've read, this isn't a record, but a friend of mine from a Christian Screamo band did a 22.3 sec scream yesterday.

Longest fake scream Iv'e heard is the begining of the original Stromblast song.

Longest real one is in Emperial Live Ceremony on An Elegy of Icarus. At the end of the song right before they go back into the melodic vocal part Ihsahn screams "Icarus" for what I'm pretty sure is about 3 years.

:D

What's the longest so far? I have me doing 30 and 40 second screams

P.s. Excuse the hair in the second video, I was going for the Christopher Lloyd look :p

:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Maynard James Keenan has a live recording of a little over 20 seconds during "You Lied" on the Salival CD.

And aside from that, I would be willing to bet there are thousands of Tool fans that have seen them in concert and witnessed his tremendous vocalization power.

I've seen Maynard do extremely long screams like this live on multiple occasions, and I've also seen him pull away from the microphone while the scream continued. Screams can easily be enhanced and lengthened in a live setting with the use of delay. I personally don't see anything wrong with that. The purpose of long screams/growls in a song is to add to the music, not show off one individual's amazing throat muscles. Who cares if it's electronically enhanced?

Even if there isn't proof of anyone holdng a scream for 40 seconds I can and if you have doubts I can get on youtube make a vid to prove it and post the link on here it is highly possible to hold a scream for 40 seconds it takes almost no air to scream it just depends on how long someone can be there breath reduced by 10 to 15 seconds

The few I've heard:

-Micke Å does some pretty long ones in like Black Rose Immortal and Brave and Crimson
-That 20-second long in the beginning of Silence Calls the Storm by Quo Vadis, I think it's a bit fake though
-20-something in The Grudge by Tool

And then I'm probably forgetting something really obvious. But what else is there? I've heard about Peter Tägtren doing a 40-second scream, on what song is it or was it just live or something?

That Quo Vadis one is real. I've seen it live.

My longest scream that ive ever done is 31.20 seconds long and i have a recording on my phone i know its likely not the longest but its the longest that i know of