How did you find you favorite bands?

Iron Maiden, Metallica - heard at friends

Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Judas Priest - my mum & dad got me into them

Helloween - found the name interesting when I used to look through the Metal section

Nu - Magazines, TV, Charts

Kreator, Sodom - Internet

I am old as dirt (but I still look good ha ha ha, yeah right) and I discovered "metal" in 1980 when I first heard "You Shook Me All Night Long" on the radio. AC/DC never ended up being one of my favorite bands, but that release "Back in Black" is still one of my faves today.

In the early/mid 80's I bought a "Masters of Metal" cassette which was a compilation thing and it had "Rainbow in the Dark" by Dio on it. I fell in love with the song and still love Dio era Sabbath and early Dio solo as well as Dio Rainbow.

About the same time, a buddy asked me to listen to this band called Accept. It was the "Metal Heart" release and they absolutely blew me away. To this day, they still get more spins in my CD player than all the "oldschool" stuff I own. To this day, their former guitarist, Wolf Hoffmann is still my favorite player as well.

I saw this video of this guitar guy (I was a budding guitarist at the time) named Yngwie Malmsteen and he was like God disguised as a guitarist. I grew bored with him over the years, but at one time he was one of my favorites.

The same buddy that introduced me to Accept wanted me to hear this "Metallica" band a few years later. He didn't like them, but thought I might. I didn't know what tio think of "Master of Puppets" when I first heard it. I loved it, but it was almost scary. Not lyric wise or anything.... I was already into bands like Grim Reaper etc. but the sound of the guitars and drums were like nothing I had ever heard. The shock value was amazing.

After the mighty Metallica, it was hard to find bands that could really give that much power until another buddy of mine introduced me to Metal Church's "Blessing in Disguise." Though they were more power metal than thrash, they put POWER into power metal. Great band.

MTV was still kicking and no one could get away from Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime." WHat a great release !!

Not too long after the "brush" with prog metal via Queensryche, I discovered Fates Warning and Dream Theater. Great bands !!

About six years ago, I was at a friend's house showing him how to download music from newsgroups and I simply picked a band I had never heard that had a cool name for demonstration purposes called "Vanden Plas." The release was called "The God Thing" and I captured four songs from it. They kicked my ass despite being a little mellow for my typical tastes. They still put out awesome releases.

A few years ago I started going to the Prog-Power festivals in the US, so after the bands were named, I looked them up and discovered Angel Dust which reminded me a lot of Metal Church.... power-metal with some thrash. Great band.

Lastly, due to the last couple of Prog-Power events, a good net friend of mine sent me Pagans Mind and Tad Morose. Two pretty killer bands.

That's how I got into some of my fave and former favorite bands. I left many out of course, but I don't want to be on this post all night.

Bryant

i started listening to nu-metal first. i think it was one of the first genres of music i listened to. i started listening to bands like korn and limp bizket (yeah i had bad taste in music). then i gradually started listening to heavier stuff.

i then started listening to the more famous older bands: metallica, slayer, iron maiden, ozzy, etc.

then for some reason i started listening to alot of metalcore: shadows fall, killswitch engage etc.

after that i started listening to alot of black metal: emperor, dissection, etc.

then i started branching my tastes away from metal and started listening to alot of classic rock and punk rock i.e. led zeppelin, ac/dc, pink floyd.

then i started getting back into metal and listened to more death metal: amon amarth, opeth, nile, etc.

right now im still listening to alot of melodic death metal and some black metal. other than that i listen to quite a bit of classic rock and am getting a little bit into grunge. i still listen to a little bit of punk rock but im not as into it as i used to be.

i usually learn about my favorite bands quite a while before i buy one of their cds. i usually hear one of their songs and download a few of them just to get a taste. afterwards ill usually buy one of their greatest hits cds if they have one. if i like them enough ill buy another cd and so on and so forth.

quite a few of my favorite bands i was actually introduced to through this website.

I had friends in Junior High who tried introducing me to the basic death metal bands like Nile and Cannibal Corpse, but I hated the growling. I'll admit, I was a nu-metal kid and I didn't like death metal. Then one day on the bus one of my friends had me listen to Zao and I thought they totally ruled. For some reason, they were my gateway into the heavier side of music. I found some of their songs on (the former) mp3.com and from there found lots of other bands. I used alot of those "Listmania" lists on Amazon.com to find more music, which lead me to Opeth, which lead me to the Opeth forum...and on to the rest of UM. I'm basically a brutal death/grind fan now so I was always looking for Unique Leader style bands to download.

Melodeath said:
What's LARM?
It was a very large metal review archive, owned by the singer/guitarist in Megiddo. It's main focus was on black metal, but it was very thorough in other genres as well.

A shame that it's now dead.

Well being older than dirt My cousin asked me to go with him on a double date with him (guess who got stuck with the other not so pretty freind :yuk: ) it was to a see The former lead singer of his favorite band on his frist solo tour, That singer was Ozzy he had Judas preist and Iron maiden as opening acts (the new British wave) . I was hooked after Maidens first song Wrathchild :hotjump: . Then Preist came on with breaking the law ,heading to the highway,grinder and metal gods :headbang: . Then Ozzy came out with crazy train and this little tiny crazied guitar player Randy Rhodes :worship: . I have no idea what the girl I was with name was :erk: I do remember the whole show. The next day I spent every penny I had on metal records and Still search the internet buy cd's like mad looking for new metal (now that I'm older more prog and power)(guess I mellowed with age). But still like metal My best newest find by accident was Pyramaze and Threshold ...

Well thanks for the trip down memory lane.......

LONG LIVE METAL RAWK-ON !!!!!! :headbang:

For me, I was stuck into all that alternative trash (aka Sum-41) till an old friend from toronto told me to listen to metal. I was a bit skeptic, but found an online metal reference www.brutalmetal.com and found megadeth. Tornado of SOuls totally rocked all the previous shit I had listened to. The name "Death Metal" soon caught me. It was In FLames next. "Only for the Weak" really set me onto the right path. The metal path. \m/